PDA

View Full Version : How much filler have you used?

dennis68
10-31-2004, 12:55 PM
I just cracked open the second gallon (very reluctantly). I had hoped to have less than a gallon on the whole car, all I have left is the to do the finish work after tacking in the R/R 1/4 panel. I wonder how much filler others have used to get these old cars straight.

When I stripped it originally there was at least 1/4" everywhere and up to 1" of filler in some places. Now the thickest area has about 1/4" and some panels have virtually no filler at all. I guess knowing at least half of the filler mixed is either blocked off or wasted (mixed too much) is some consolation.

Milow68
10-31-2004, 09:03 PM
Dennis I would not worry! Yes I would say alot ends up on the floor either in dust foam or the fish tails that you lose as you spread it.
I am a beginner and I have done jobs that I should not have (too many friend say TOLD YOU SO, but good learning experience). It hasn't been uncommon for me to crack the second gallon.
The tool that helped me the most last summer was learning to use a stud welder/puller set up.
:postpics:

But you don't have too because mud pictures aren't cool unless you are Adam 4x4ing. :smoke:
Biggest thing is the car isn't sitting in body shop jail!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

68protouring454
11-01-2004, 06:06 AM
dennis i am sure you know this, but you did completely weld the 1/4 right?? if not i would reccomend spot welding the 1/4 in different spots until it is solid, bondo is not water proof i do not care what the can says, they mean waterproof once its painted, **** i can make cardboard waterproof with a seal and paint!!!
jake

dennis68
11-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I always fully weld joints. Would rather have to deal with a little warpage then a panel fall off.

RobM
11-01-2004, 10:22 AM
its not uncommon for pros to skim an entire panle with some sort of filler. dont worry about putting over a gallon on the car. as long as its mixed and aplyed properly filler isnt a bad thing. i think much of the stigma around body filler came from the old low tech fillers