PDA

View Full Version : Running rich = Running hot?

kman67rsss
07-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Is it possible that running verry rich would also cause higher engine temps? my car is running hotter now that i have put it back together but it may be due to the tranny cooler in front of the radiator. but im also running verry rich and didnt know if there was possibly a connection?

Davezz28
07-25-2006, 06:56 PM
A rich condition does not usually cause a motor to run hot that is usually attributed to a lean condition. You my have some other condition causing the motor to run hot.

But higher air temps will cause a rich condition.

Sound like you have two separate conditions, one causing the motor to run hot and with the heat of the summer causing the rich condition.

68Formula
07-26-2006, 02:29 AM
Maybe your timing is too retarded causing it to run hot and have a lot of unburnt gas?

kman67rsss
07-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Any of these is a possibility as i just recently got the car back on the road after blowing the engine. I know its running rich, i have new plugs comming and will start playing with that this weekend. never thought about the timing being too retarded. my other thought was the tranny cooler, but its not like that completely blocks all air flow.

Madspeed
07-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Need lots more info please
Like everything thats different on this new engine

kman67rsss
07-26-2006, 05:49 PM
there isnt all that much different on this one as the old. same block, heads, pistons. new cam and lifters and a TH400 instead of a TKO600. the old motor ran rich also but would sit at 180-195 on hot days. the new one creeps up to 210 on hot days. any ways its a 402bbc bored .060 11:1 cr, afr heads, Demon 850 carb, msd ignition, isky solid roller 246/[email protected] .593/.602 lift and a TH400

68Formula
07-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Cam could have an effect too.

MonzaRacer
11-11-2006, 11:13 PM
If you dont think you have major problems with the demon first set your timing as far up static as it will restart after hot soak then back up 2 degrees,,, usually it will be around 12 or 14. Then recheck the carb idle and mixture with vacuum guage at idle in gear wheels blocked and adjust for best idle speed and highest vacuum reading. Stick about a 4.0 or 3.5 power valve in it and as for jetting I would run it around 76s in front. if it burns your eyes at idle put in larger idle air bleeds.
For my money the power valve is part of the problem and as for getting hot well you need proper flow of air as well as flow of coolant.
i doubt the cooler has anything to do with it unless it blocks air flow.
i ran a 10.5 to 1 402 with Iron heads and never had heat problems and I only had a 3 row in my car.
seems it still needs some tuning if it runs rich.
Oh and if the AFR aluminum heads are ran with improper gaskets they will cuase the heads to run hot but with a 180 ther i never got over 210 at worst. also temp going up to say 210 or 220 but no farther is ok its normal to get some increase in temp before electric fans start (if you use electric).
Good luck
Lee