PDA

View Full Version : Mark VIII or taurus

jeff5347
06-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Guys, I was curious if this is a true Mark 8 fan. is this what it looks like. Thinking of getting one to cool the car a bit better. Has anyone run one on a 68 camaro with a 3 core factory radiator. I dont know the dims of the rad but would this fit with no or minor mods.
Also was curious what year i would find this fan on when i hit the junkyard. If im not able to find this i heard a taurus fan would also be a pos over a black magic pushing 2300cfm. What year taurus do i get the fan from?

Mark VIII fan?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIATOR-FAN-ELECTRIC-FORD-4-6-V8-TBIRD-MARK-VIII_W0QQitemZ140000300944QQcategoryZ33600QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2 different taurus fans here, one better than the other? one single and then a double,
2 fanhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DAUL-ELECTRIC-FAN-TAURUS-SHO_W0QQitemZ140000842676QQihZ004QQcategoryZ33600Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

single- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-Taurus-Lincoln-electric-fan-4000CFM_W0QQitemZ270000506088QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33 600QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gmachinz
06-23-2006, 03:58 PM
That looks to be the good Mark VIII fan. You want 1997 or 1998 years, part #RF64. We only sell new ones but for a used one, if it's in good working order, that's a steal! It will fit the '68 stock radiator-you'll need to do some minor trimming on the pass. side to clear the side tank for a nice fit against the fins-be sure to use some type of weatherstrip foam to cushion it though. As you're trimming, pay close attention to two things: the petcock for the radiator, and the lower hose clamp. You may need to "clock" the clamp different to make it easier to get to once the shroud is in place. We've done a lot of them on 1st gen. Camaros in the last 6 months-they're not bad at all-they fit very nice! -Jabin

jeff5347
06-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks Jabin,
Im gonna see if the local boneyard has one and if not maybe get the ebay fan. If all else fails would one of the taurus fans do. which one between the dual or single fan be the best?

gmachinz
06-24-2006, 12:48 PM
The dual fan assembly won't fit your radiator opening no matter what you do-and the other fan listed is not a bad fan, looks to be the older style Mark VIII fan-the motor on those older ones are not as HD as the newer style but still not a bad fan at all. I'd be cautious about any used fan that has been ran off a relay on somebody else's car-once on, it's running full speed until the temp. switches breaks the ground-or however the owner had it wired. I'd say either (Mark VIII) is a good deal but I'd much rather spend the $$$ on the newer style used Mark VIII fan if I were you-but you better grab it before somebody else sees it-it's a good price. I have the NOS fan harness replacements and variable speed controllers if you end up needing either. Be aware that the later style Mark VIII will draw about 35-40 amps off a relay if the fan is in good shape. -Jabin

jeff5347
06-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Jabin,
What im gonna do is hit the boneyard first. See if there is something i can grab. just havent been there yet due to the non stop rain mass has been having. Getting rediculous. If i cant find one ill grab one off lin or suck it up and buy it new. The fan i have now is the black magic with a 15 in blade and it covers maybe 60% of the rad. i assume that might be one resume it isnt cooling the best. The taurus one looks to cover prob 90% so would def doa better job. Other than the dc controller to control the speed i was reading on the hayden imperial fan controller. is this a good one and if not what other ones are out there besides the dc controller.
Also is it essential to run the controller?

Madspeed
06-26-2006, 09:19 PM
From what i have read the mark vlll fan pulls 100 amps upon initial startup,
I have read it is best to use a DC controller as it brings the fan speed up slowley therfore not pulling 100 amps

I bought a dc controller myself =) Someday it will controll my Mark 8 fan =)

dhardison
06-27-2006, 04:10 AM
Jeff, I'm not sure of your budget but I also initially went the Mark VIII and DC controller route. Unfortunately the Mark VIII would not fit even if trimmed (too thick). I started looking around and came across an 11" dual set up from Spal. That with the DC controller kept my 454 under 190 all during the Power Tour. I can't stress enough how wonderful the DC controller is. It's WELL worth the price (which isn't all that much actually).

Well anyway if you're interested in the 11" dual Spal, I picked mine up NEW off of ebay for $180 (retails for $315). Here's the link to the auction I won (the seller is excellent).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8063512973

Also, here's a link to a PDF about the 11" dual Spal, which provides dimensional info.

http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automated/tech_sheets/2052.pdf

Whatever fan you choose, make sure you get the DC controller.

gmachinz
07-01-2006, 10:11 PM
D, the Mark VIII will fit the Camaros with a SB, I remember you saying before the Mark VIII won't fit your Nova with a BBC though. The last install I did was on a '69 Camaro with a 350 and a BB radiator-I trimmed 3/4" off and notched the pass. side for the stock radiator side tank and it fit with about 1/2" of clearance to the water pump pulley. -Jabin