PDA

View Full Version : Crossfire Injection

rgsuperstrat
06-16-2006, 11:31 PM
A friend of mine gave me an intake base, top, and throttle bodies from a crossfire system. Is there a benefit to completing this and using it for a fuel system? It seems like parts are hard to come by, so in your opinions, should I complete it and use it, or find someboby who needs it worse than me? Also, I attached a photo of what I have, but need to know what I need! Thanks again.

LS1Z28
06-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Waste of time and money. The crossfire is the worst performing injection system GM ever came up with.

rocketman
06-17-2006, 08:13 AM
In it's it day it was good but know there's to many options for EFI.

I know a guy who took a crossram intake and put throttle bodies on it.

nancejd
06-17-2006, 10:50 AM
I wouls say it depends on what you are going to use it on. They're designed for a 305, and they run out of air on most 350s. The other major weakness they typically have is the factory computer, it is 22 year old technology after all. On the plus side, it is something that not everyone and their brother runs on their car.

rgsuperstrat
06-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Can a person just put a pair of like Holley 450s on it and just go that route?

Fuelie Fan
06-19-2006, 05:16 PM
you could, but why? I've seen one of those intakes in person, the ports were tiny! I don't think it was even good "in its day". It was, after all, dubbed "cease-fire". Doing so would be purely for looks, not for performance.

Rolling_Thunder
06-19-2006, 05:49 PM
cross rams in general aren't that great for street driving I've found out... the cross fire was used in the early to mid 80's if a remember correctly on firebirds and vettes.... not all that great of a system

nancejd
06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Even if you ditch the throttle bodies, and go with carbs, it just isn't designed for a high reving engine with big displacement. Don't forget that the Crossfire injection system would have been designed in the 1970s, it appeared on the market in '82 after all. I think turbo city does work with them using an aftermarket ecu, but you are still going to be limited in the amount of air they will move.

rgsuperstrat
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
I appreciate the input. I guess I was just thinking that I have it, so why not try to use it. I am starting to see that even with growing up around race cars, how much there is to still learn. I appreciate all the experience responding. I think I will just use it as a decorative shelf question generator!!

Kenova
06-20-2006, 07:45 AM
I think I will just use it as a decorative shelf question generator!!
....... or you could build a 283 for it.:poke:
Ken

toxicz28
06-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Throw a post on the Corvette forum. I'm sure you could find a fanatic over there that would want it.

Skip Fix
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
A friend put one on some stock heads on a flow bench-terrible flow with that intake. I would guess using an old Edelbrock cross ram manifold(they also has a low profile called a Street tunnel ram) would flow better for a conversion to EFI.