PDA

View Full Version : 9" ford swap

68ls1wannabe
06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm in a new predicament now. I was gonna run a G body 12 bolt in my 68 camaro but after thinking about it I want to switch to a 9". I can buy a junkyard third member for about 100 bucks and I have my choice between about 10 of them. They all came out from under trucks. Is that gonna be a prob? I was thinking of buying a comp engineering rear housing and getting some custom cut axles from moser. The reason for all this is the car is getting minitubs and using the new C6 5 spoke wheels. I want have the axle cut to the right length so wheel spacers will not be needed. Car has leaf springs also. Will this work?

Josh
06-01-2006, 09:59 AM
You can make anything work with modification. A 9" truck housing will need to be narrowed by somebody that has a fixture to do it right. You should know the backspace on your wheels and the tire width of the tires to estimate proper housing length. Once that is done, Moser can tell you how to measure for correct axle length. New spring pads will need to be welded on in the correct location. All the 9" housings from trucks are pretty much the same but try to score one with a gear set you will use.
If there is a housing from a first gen Bronco (up to 1976) grab that and you may not need to cut it.

bretcopsey
06-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Since you want to run C6 wheels without spacers, you will obviously need to start with a housing that is considerably wider than the 60" housing in the Camaro. That length is from wheel mounting surface to wheel monting surface, minus drums/discs.

Do you have the wheels? Mock the whels up and break out the tape measure.