PDA

View Full Version : Fabrication Classes

FCRacing
05-29-2006, 11:23 PM
Any of you folks be interested in a set of "hands on fabrication classes"?? We have considered this for a few years, and last year I attended a few Metal forming courses at anouther shop that got us up to date on English Wheeling fast. I guess it could cover as little fitting and tig welding roll cages to full rear chassis fabrication, including narrowing rear ends, Aluminum body and interior panel fabrication..........We used to do this at Alston for the dealers..........not sure what the interest level would be??? what do you think?? and if so what areas would you like covered??......R @FCRacing

DRJDVM's '69
05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I would be very interested..... right now at least I'm most interested in body mods etc.... fabricating complexes curves etc for rust repair, shaving handles, filling marker lights, minitub, custom panels, filler panels to smooth firewall etc.

I'm not too far away in Manteca...

FCRacing
05-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey M if you want to learn the art of body mods and complex shape fabrication, check out one of Lazze the Swedish tin wizards classes here in Oakdale, I will get a number for you if needed or you can look him up on the web............Lazze metal fab I think..........FCRacing
In the step one class you learn the use of a English Roll ,Power Beader,and shrinking metal, In the step two class you will acually work with the other students for one week and build an entire 40 willys body or AC Cobra out of Aluminum................

DRJDVM's '69
05-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I've looked at and talked to the guys at Lazze.... very nice. The class however is a little too geared towards the guys that will have the "big equipment" to work with... i.e an english wheel etc etc. All my stuff will be mostly by hand and small shop equipment. It just didnt seem like it would pay off for me to take his class.

FCRacing
05-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey D there is a guy named Bob Howitz out here by me that might give you a one day class cheaper,(he used to teach with Lazze) and you can buy an inexpensive Wheel machine from eastwood or ebay........you will also need at a minimum a shrinker stretcher set...........and Mitler Bros has a nice hand set for around 300.............you could get started on the cheap.................R@FCRacing

BB69
06-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I would be very interested, but I'm in Michigan, and the commute would be hell. However, I thought I would tell you what I would be interested in. I signed up for a fab class at the local community college, but it got cancelled.

Anyway, I would like to start with the basics of measuring and laying out pieces with common tools like scribes, machinist dye, scales, etc. Next could be how to cut out these shapes in the correct order, and how to bend simple flanges. Something like a battery box where you have to think about the best way to may it using the fewest joints, welds, etc. As for tubing and cages, basically the same. The things that I have a hard time figuring out are how to measure the cage correctly, and how to get repeatable bends from side to side, front to back.

Just my thoughts about what I would like to see in a class. I found the money spent on my TIG welding class was very well spent.

Ken

trackrat79
06-05-2006, 08:58 AM
I am always up for learning new techniques but cost is a big issue. I understand that the teachers have taken years to gather thier knowledge but to charge 1000 dollars a head for a one or two day course is just robery. I am perfectly happy using my back yard fabricating methods on my hot rods. Show quality work is not what I am after. I would much rather spend that money on tools and figure it out myself. If you can set this up for under 500 I would probly do it.

CRCRFT78
06-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Hell, I would like to learn anything if it would just help me get one of these damn projects of mine finished. Mainly TIG welding (or any welding for that matter), body mods, metal fabrication and mock up. But again, prices are a little steep for some of these classes. And I can't justify spending that much money on short term classes.

DRJDVM's '69
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree that the cost is a big factor. The part time hobby guys that arent going on to make a career of the techniques learned cant justify spending alot of $$ on classes for the most part. The techniques learned also need to be based on stuff the average guy can do at home with some basic tools (i.e not an english wheel etc etc), since most of us are willing to buy tools but there is a limit to what is practical for most of us.