PDA

View Full Version : header vs idler arm

Jinks
05-29-2006, 04:54 PM
The epic battle of steel vs steel :)

Am i best off to dimple my header to clear my idler arm, or is there a idler arm relocation i can do? looking for the simplest option :)

now its time to try and fit the driver side bwahah!

baz67
05-29-2006, 05:46 PM
I would say dimple the header as relocating the idler arm will change steering geometry.

Jinks
05-29-2006, 07:04 PM
ok, now question #2!!

do i torch the header to heat it up so its easier to dimple? its already ceramic coated, i dont really want to wreck the header :)

ps. the driver side fit no problem. .go figure.. i just had to take the steering box out as i dont have my engine hoist to lift up the engine right now. .

nice fitting header other than bumping the stupid idler arm though :)

( dougs D368 )

FabUThis
06-07-2006, 03:21 AM
how bad is it hiting the header ?

Jinks
06-07-2006, 09:48 AM
i dented the ehader a bunch and it's still hitting!!

does rack adn pinion still use the same mounting location? would it give me more clearance?!

6'9"Witha69
06-07-2006, 12:36 PM
does rack adn pinion still use the same mounting location? would it give me more clearance?!You wiould run into fitment issues in OTHER areas then. It is part of the eternal joy of trying to get parts from different manufacturers to match up.

What type of headers are you running? Is it still a poncho motor? Headers suck for Pontiacs!

Jinks
06-07-2006, 08:35 PM
yeah, its just a SBC.. so that isnt hte problem.. i have tons of room on my steering side.. its almost like my motor maybe shifted over a bit hah.. who knows.. ive seen it change slightly from build to build with the same block.

ive dented my header about as much as i feel comfortable doing :/

oh.. and its a dougs header D368 for camaro and nova