PDA

View Full Version : Need ATF Advice

71Formula
05-26-2006, 01:21 PM
I am just about ready to install my new 4L80E transmission in the ’71 Firebird and I decided that since I spent $3500 on a transmission I could at least put the best ATF fluid in as possible. I imagine that I should be using Dextron III since I have heard many rumors about synthetic fluid causing problems. What brand would you recommend? All advice is welcome!

John McIntire
05-26-2006, 01:29 PM
What brand did the seller tell you to use? When all else fails, use the factory stuff

71Formula
05-26-2006, 01:51 PM
What brand did the seller tell you to use? When all else fails, use the factory stuff

My transmission builder did not specify a brand, he mentioned any off the shelf dexron III ATF would be fine. Just wondering if anyone recommends any specific brands.

Cheatin'Chad
05-29-2006, 11:14 AM
I have used Redline fluids for 5+ years and have had great results with them.
In my opinion and that of my transmission builder/sponsor you are not going to see drastic differences between any of the brand name oils.Obviously there will be a difference synthetic vs. conventional.
I use Redline because of the results I have seen and it has performed well in all the testing I have seen.

Lethal Injection
06-02-2006, 05:03 AM
I did a little research on using "Case Hy Tran Ultra" in my 4L80E. Seems some of the racers are using it and having good results. It will withstand more heat before breaking down. I talked to "PTC" and they actually had some tested and really like it. I am running it now. I had an issue with a shift kit when my trans was freshened up and the trans man said he had a hard time getting it off his hands. He liked it too.

The guys that I have talked to say that it made the trans shift firmer and even the converter was a little tighter.

There is a long thread on the turbo mustang site about this.