PDA

View Full Version : Dana 36 IRS

Tony@AirRideTech
10-20-2004, 01:53 PM
I know, I know , I know........ I dont want to hear any of the "you should have got a 44"..... Anyways, Ive got a 36 that I am working with right now and I have heard that as long as I use a quality gear set, with a carrier support bracket that the 36 will handle anything the 44 will and that the u-joints become your weak link at that point. I am at the point of finding a gear set and the biggest set I can find is 3.74:1 ratio. Does anyone know of anybody producing a 4.11:1 or somewhere there abouts ? Also, I would praise any additional "how to make your 36 live" info you guys might have....

Thanks in advance....

David Pozzi
10-20-2004, 08:13 PM
You should have... er, I mean Uh, have you checked the Richmond Gear web site?
David :)

ProdigyCustoms
10-21-2004, 07:08 AM
I was talking to John Greenwood a few months ago about this. He had a built up Dana 36 they had built back in 92 (my friend bought it) that he said would handle 600RWHP no problem. He also agreed the 36 with good parts was as good as the 44, and that the u joints were the weak link. however, he did not go into details of what the good parts were. He also agreed with my theroy, that unless at the dragstrip with slicks, side steeping the clutch, the rear end will usually break the tires loose before it snaps parts.
My buddy put that read from John in his Procharged 383, LT1 car and broke the motor before he broke the rear, at the dragstrip with slicks.

Tony@AirRideTech
10-21-2004, 01:19 PM
:3gears:

Tiger
10-26-2004, 08:45 AM
You should.. :bananna2: hehe

Dennys driveshaft makes the halfshafts once/if you get to the point of snappin those off...
As for the rest I dont know how to strenghten it.

André

David Pozzi
10-26-2004, 11:04 PM
When you get your gears, do a deburr job on the tooth edges all around on pinion and ring-gear. Use a cone shaped roll on a high speed die grinder. The gear mfr deburrs but they usually do a sloppy job.

I've taken apart some vintage race Indy trans-axles from Dan Gurney, and the gears they used were all deburred.
David

Tony@AirRideTech
10-27-2004, 05:17 AM
David..... thanks for the advice..!