PDA

View Full Version : manual or automatic transmission?

steemin
10-18-2004, 06:04 PM
I am looking to purchase a PT Camaro. One of the big decisions one must make is whether to go with an automatic or a manual transmission.
When it comes to a car that I am going to drive strictly for pleasure I have always had cars with a manual transmission. I really enjoy the active role of being involved in shifting the gears manually. Not to mention the sounds that the engine makes running through the gears. I am anxious to hear the other sides opinion as to why so many people build cars with automatic transmissions.

harshman
10-18-2004, 09:00 PM
nothin's better than rippin' through all 6 gears and blowin' past mustangs at 150 mph. check out t56kit.com for more information.

Zefhix
10-18-2004, 10:30 PM
nothin's better than rippin' through all 6 gears and blowin' past mustangs at 150 mph. check out t56kit.com for more information.

haha...I agree Andy, I think I put your car into 6th @40 MPH just to say I put a 68 Camaro in 6th!! Definitely smooth........

CAMAROBOY69
10-19-2004, 06:26 AM
:icon996: 6 speed in my opinion is the best way to go.

steemin
10-19-2004, 07:33 AM
I am looking for the other perspective as well. In my search for a car I am running across (it seems) more autos than manual transmissions.

Fuelie Fan
10-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Autos are generally easier to install/swap (especially since the majority of american automobiles are autos, and finding the parts to convert to manual can be expensive and/or annoying), cheaper, easier to live with on day to day basis especially if you live in an area with heavy traffic, can be driven by anyone at any time (whether this is good is itself open to debate!), provide hard launches (through torque multiplication) and consistent shifts going down the track.

Some of those are good reasons, some are poor excuses, and others are almost arguments for the other side. Take it at face value, and please don't blast me, I'm not posting to start an argument. All my cars have been autos, pretty much becuase I can't afford most manual cars as they always seem to draw a premium. And, I'm basically happy with the cars I have now and don't want to start looking for yet another until I finish at least one of em! I'm thinking hard about making one of them a manual, but I haven't decided which. I really need to lay out my plans :)

34X2Camaro
10-20-2004, 02:54 PM
My car is being built at a shop as we speak. My first choice would be to go with a six speed for the fun factor but I am going with an auto instead because of the cost. Based on the kits and trannies I have compared and want, the manual will cost me about 5 times more than the auto. I would love to get a 6 speed in the car and I may regret going with the auto. I'm already stretching my budget but that's why I'm going auto. I am however, considering getting myself into some big debt to get the 6 speed.

kman67rsss
10-20-2004, 05:05 PM
personally, to me a "toy" car should be a stick. there is nothing better then banging through the gears regardless of what you are driving. especially if your daily is an auto

CamaroAJ
10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
not to step on anyones toes but Keisler automotive makes a kit you 4K that has everything but the pedels and handles 650 horse and made to bold right into a first gen. you can see more at www.keislerauto.com

Fuelie Fan
10-21-2004, 06:23 PM
$4000 is a lot of money, to me that only proves the "automatics are much more affordable" point. I've never paid that much for an entire car!

protour_chevelle
10-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Thats just too much money for the average guy. I went auto for a few reasons. Money, The amount of horsepower per dollar that the tranny can handle, and ease of finding another if I granade it and not having to pay a premium.

That for 4grand a 4l80 or 4l65 can take that 650horse for fractions of the price. With the left over money go paddle shift!

-Matt

zbugger
10-23-2004, 10:12 AM
I went automatic based on cost. The 2004R I've installed has great gear splits, and is strong enough for the power I'll be putting through it. I know it's not much power, but I tend to drive hard. I'll be installing an external cooler if I wind up heating the trans by manual shifting it constantly in the twisties. It's not just the fun factor to decide on here, but you could be tired after spirited driving or on track running and if you hit traffic, the auto is easier. Then again, I tend to get a little lazy.