PDA

View Full Version : MSD is pissing me off

ss350chevy
05-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Ok so i have a newer MSD set up (MSD 6AL, blaster 2 coil, pro billet distributor) and i had it running with the old MSD distributor i had until i fried the ignition rotor. Initially i rebuilt the old distributor, buit after that didnt work i bought a brand new one (85551). Surprise surprise (actually it was surprising) it will still not crank over. I am getting spark up through the coil, but the charge does not make it to each cylinder. I checked all of the connections and grounds, and could find nothing wrong. Im not too savvy on wiring, but i am stumped. Anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong? Could i have shorted the MSD box itself when i fried the ignition rotor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

derekf
05-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Have you contacted MSD's support? They were pretty sharp when I talked to them a couple of years ago.

silver69camaro
05-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Are you sure the coil lead is making contact with the rotor?

Beegs
05-11-2006, 09:56 AM
THere is a place on MSD's site that shows you how to check your box.

PRO TC
05-15-2006, 08:35 PM
the way it should go is if you have spark out of the coil/coil wire but not out of the cap to the plug wire/ wires when cranking you have a bad rotor or cap is the rotor new? the rotor could be burned through and going to ground. or do you have a very weak spark. i hope i can help.
barry

Hidro
05-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Make sure the rotor is turning while engine cranks over.If it doesnt then timing gears/chain might be a problem.

-Ed

Jims78elky
05-17-2006, 01:25 AM
This might sound stupid..but here goes.

First,make sure that the coil is getting a full 12v source,
a 12v wire ran directley from the fuse panel to the coil.

Second,re-check all your grounds and connections,if one
is loose or not "crimped" right,that would be a good source
for problems,wires can work loose or just not make a good
connections,its redundant work,but it works some times.

Take your time,start at one end and work all of it out a little
at a time..

If all fails here is a link to MSD if that helps..to check your
6AL box just to be on the safe side!

Good luck!

http://www.msdignition.com/1troub1.htm

ss350chevy
05-19-2006, 09:33 AM
I appreciate all your help. I have already checked and re-checked all power and ground wires. i know that this rotor should be fine....as it is brand new (whole distributor is new) thats why i replaced the old distributor, because i wasnt confident that it was making the cap/rotor connection. The rotor does turn when the car cranks, so i know thats not the problem. Im going to check the box today, but shouldnt i still recieve spark, even if the box was dead?

derekf
05-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Have you engaged their support folks in this?

ss350chevy
05-19-2006, 01:43 PM
ok so i finally just decided to take everything apart and brought the box and the coil to a local speed shop. Turned out the box was fine, so i figured it must be something in the coil. Bought a new coil, plugged in...and it backfired!!! yay. So evidently it was the coil (feel kinda stupid), it was just not throwing enough spark.

So im in the midst of re-aligning the distrubtor, and theoretically it should fire up

Cheatin'Chad
06-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Just for kicks what is your plug gap?