PDA

View Full Version : 700R4 Hard 1-2 shift

JJSmitches
04-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Car came home this weekend and we drove it around the block, it needs a lot more work to be driveable every day. If it wasnt Sunday Id call the shop, but maybe someone here can help.

Driving around my block the 1-2 shift is very hard. This is at part throttle and I am sure I never went over 30 mph. I dont think it ever shifted to 3rd either. This might be because of the low speed, mostly 15-25 mph? OR TV cable not adjusted correctly?

I tried searching this and other forums already. Also tried checking a couple manufactures' websites but didnt find much.

Carbed 350, Demon Carb, 5$ spring thing thats supposed to allow full throttle without screwing up tv cable adjustment, 700r4, 3.73 posi.

sunkistcamaro
04-10-2006, 06:28 PM
My 700 has a hell of a 1-2 kick but never thought to much about it.
Did you find out if you had a problem?
Bill

JJSmitches
04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
I talked to the builder this morning and he said the shift should be pretty stiff with the shift kit I ordered. There were 3 options - stock, mild, and "neck brace not included."

If I would have known that mild required a body builder's neck I might have gone stock!

radcojoe
04-20-2006, 10:48 PM
i take it ou got it from mad dog transmissions then ? and what shift kit did you order? and also how good is it. i am about to put one of his trannys in my camaro and wanted to knwo before i ordered.

JJSmitches
05-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey radcojoe, sorry I am responding so late to this question.

I ordered the mild shift kit. It's behind a very mild small block making 350hp/390tq and the dif is 3.73 with an Eaton posi. The trans is the super heavy duty supposedly good to over 550hp and 600tq, obviously I thought I was going to be building a much more powerful engine.

My overall experience wasnt great, but that doesnt mean the product isnt. His shop was going through some changes with people in the front office and shipping at the time, so it took 3 tries to get my order shipped complete. The speedo gears were not installed and it came without the tailshaft housing, he refunded part of the purchase price for this inconvience and fixed the problem. I then ran into another problem with the trans before a single drop of fluid had hit the bottom of the pan. He offered to pay for repairs locally or send me out another complete trans and converter. I wasn't trying to be a jerk but I had to go with the second option. Assuming this thing doesnt blow up (shouldn't had the TV cable adjusted by a professional) I will still be happy with the overall results. He tried hard to solve all of the problems and I think he was more than fair. I feel bad that he probably didnt make money on the deal because he had to ship more than one trans out at his expense.

This second transmission showed up quickly and completely. I offered to pay back the amount of money he refunded originally if everything worked out with the second transmission. I assume all of the problems I encountered with the first trans have been resolved by now and that other customers wont have the same difficulties that I experienced.

I would not order anything from anyone on the otherside of the country again unless they were the best and only option. The inconvience of having to wait for 4-5 days because someone forgot to ship part of my order is very frustrating, time consuming, and a waste of energy. I much rather be able to drive to a local shop and get what I need when I need it.

radcojoe
05-03-2006, 05:45 AM
not a problem on the time of the reply, i am still a few weeks away from tranny install.

i live right by maddogs shop and been told his trannys are good. if he went through all thoose things to make you happy , then that is a good thing here in Florida. most of the people who sell online rip you off here.

i have a mildy built 350 speed demon 650 and i have a gm 10 bolt posi unit with 3.37 in the rear.

i was thinking of going with his godfather with the mild shift kit which i think is what you ordered.

Let me know once you have it installed how it drives.

i plan on letting him install it since my cross member and drive shaft have to be modified to fit in there.

Thanks for the info.