PDA

View Full Version : New '69 Camaro Bodies. Registration issue?

Larry Callahan
10-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I wonder how registration will work? Would it be like a kit car? Where would you get a vin number from?

Piet
10-12-2004, 11:48 AM
I am trying to remember what magazine posted the article...
Anyway, from what I understand... they had a VIN number... can anyone confirm?

jonny51
10-12-2004, 12:23 PM
"Also in the works is SAE approvel of CARS as a vehicle manufactuer so that the company may issue a VIN for each body sold,easing the registration process for those building the car form scratch"

Hot Rod Magazine october 2004

indyjps
10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
just wondering if the b.s. that boyd has himself into over the kit car registrations will hold up the process @ all. it has really brought a lot of heat on "kit cars"
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Test&Number=1202565&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1
sorry to introduce a mopar thread here

Fuelie Fan
10-12-2004, 04:42 PM
What I'm really afraid of with these things is that now all somebody needs to do is plop a vin plate from a rusted out hulk rs/ss onto this new body, and all of the sudden it's "restored".

nancejd
10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
I think that might be illegal.

baz67
10-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Just because it is illegal does not mean it will not be done. Let the buyer beware. This is new ground for the muscle car arena and it can get ugly(fake original cars). I hope in the end it will get worked out. Now that there is a full body they will be built and they will be titled. Every state is different. Just like all of the other automotive laws out there are different for each state.

If memory serves, there is a secret place on the body that has the vin stamped in it. I have no idea where it is. I just recently read about it over on Camaros.net. Look on the bright side, it will make our original first gens worth more.
Brian

DanT69
10-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I have had some questions about these repo bodies. Im not familiar with kit cars either, so I was wondering will these "new" '69 Camaros have to pass smog? Cause if so, that could put a crimp in our collective "style".

Johnjan
10-13-2004, 09:50 AM
I can't imagine it being any different than it is for all the glass '32 Fords and stuff out there. It's registered as the year of the car it replicates and if it does not have a VIN, the state will assign one.

Kenova
10-14-2004, 08:13 AM
If memory serves, there is a secret place on the body that has the vin stamped in it. I have no idea where it is.
Brian

It's not so secret. While doing work on my Nova, I have found VIN #s on the firewall, under the heater fan housing (wonder how many get obliterated when the firewalls are smoothed?) and on the floor pan, under the rear seat area.
Ken

Ralph LoGrasso
10-14-2004, 01:09 PM
It's not so secret. While doing work on my Nova, I have found VIN #s on the firewall, under the heater fan housing (wonder how many get obliterated when the firewalls are smoothed?) and on the floor pan, under the rear seat area.
Ken

I found those as well.

kmracer
10-23-2004, 03:04 PM
I am trying to remember what magazine posted the article...
Anyway, from what I understand... they had a VIN number... can anyone confirm?
it was hot rod magizine .... it was on the cover