PDA

View Full Version : DiffS Who has broke what and how.

LowBuckX
03-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Im looking to get a new diff in the next few day and Im stuck on an Eaton clutch type or a Detroit Tru trac.
I have an Auburn right now and it is peg leg. The cones are bad. This happened about a week after install and about a year before their exchange program started but I dont want cones any more.

I also do not want a "Locker" I want gears or clutches.

This will be in a 10 bolt 8.5 28 spline.

chicane67
03-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, I have broken everything mentioned...... and more than once I might add. I since then have figured out how to make only one of them live up to real abuse.

User tunable, user rebuildable. An Eaton.

'Less' parts is 'more' when dealing with hard parts that take the brunt of 'our' abusive applications.

LowBuckX
03-15-2006, 12:18 AM
'Less' parts is 'more' when dealing with hard parts that take the brunt of 'our' abusive applications.

That is actually well stated . And make a ton of sence. Stupid question. When laying a nice patch do the strips stay dark all the way out or does one fade half way through. Problem Ive seen in stock type limited slips.

dhardison
03-15-2006, 04:21 AM
User tunable, user rebuildable. An Eaton.

I totally agree.

dhardison
03-15-2006, 04:31 AM
That is actually well stated . And make a ton of sence. Stupid question. When laying a nice patch do the strips stay dark all the way out or does one fade half way through. Problem Ive seen in stock type limited slips.

With the out-of-the-box Eaton I had the common occurence where one slick would spin and the other one wouldn't (in the burnout box). Soon therefter I swapped the stock 200lb posi springs for the heavy duty 800lb springs and also swapped the stock posi discs for the solid carbon discs. Although the posi chatter on the street increased, I no longer have the "peg-leg slick" problem and my street tires put down a nice soild, dark patch.

LowBuckX
03-15-2006, 10:31 AM
I see that Eaton sells a 200# 400# and your 800# springs. Which are stock? Are the 800# springs a little harsh on turns? Understeer/oversteer issues? ******Well darn it If I reread your post it answers my questions.... sorry*****

chicane67
03-15-2006, 09:05 PM
There are two ways to accomplish this....

You can drop in a heavier spring pack (which includes heavy duty plates)

Or....

You can add some additional side gear shim and keep the same spring pack.

And this is where the 'end user' tuning comes in to play. I run the 400# springs and shimed the side gears enough that it required me to put the assembly in a 20ton press just to get the spider gears into it.

BTW, that is the same thing you gotta do to adjust your axle end play, if you still run c-clips.

LowBuckX
03-16-2006, 12:04 AM
I just got this from the Eaton site. FAQ

What is the spring pre-load in the standard limited slip differential unit and are upgraded spring pre-load packs available to consumers?

The standard spring pre-load for all Eaton Limited Slip Differentials is 400 pounds. We do offer 800 pound spring pre-load packs for high performance vehicle applications.
So 200 isnt the stock preload. Hmm

It also states to not use the carbon discs with the 800# springs.

29591-00S Preload System Service Kit - 800#
*Recommended for heavy-duty appliacations
*Not recommended for use with carbon discs << this is $100 extra

EDS-29402 Steel Disc Service Kit (24 Discs)
*Contains discs and guides for both ends
*Steel disc assemblies are prone to chatter
*Recommended for use with 29591
*Offers higher torque bias <<-- this kit is $119 extra ouch..

Looks like I will be box stock buddy

chicane67
03-16-2006, 08:23 PM
The Eatons from circa 1967 were 200 pounds..... which is what I have. They were used with the thin spring plates and they are refered to as the 'standard duty' spring set. The new units (late production starting '95ish) are standard with 400 pound springs.

I also dont recommend using the carbon disks and have always used the solid steel plates.... for many reasons. Heat being the main reason.

I will refer you to this (http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/cat3.htm) site for Eaton parts, explainations and prices. There are a few pages........

The solid plates are still available for around $95.00.

Plus I have a few connections to make the price eaiser to swallow. Drop me a PM.

LowBuckX
03-17-2006, 01:18 AM
AHH Ok it makes sence now. I think I will have to try out the stock set up first to see what I think.

I ve got a kid on the way and the budget is a tad tighter. But thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind.