PDA

View Full Version : alternator HELP

copo69
10-06-2004, 06:20 PM
guys i know this sounds stupid but im looking for a 140 amp chrome small case alternator with internal regulator with 12 /6 oclock clocking ?// :hand: :machine: :lurk: :help: :help:

copo69
10-06-2004, 06:35 PM
or say one thats polished .. location for purchase and part number would be helpful.. thanks guys :attn:

dennis68
10-06-2004, 07:34 PM
GM alternators are too easy to re-clock. Don't limit yourself to specific clock positions, just get the amperage/look you want and clock it where you want it.

gmachinz
10-10-2004, 05:20 AM
Newer GM alternators are not as easy to re-clock as you would think like the days of old. Some of the internals, brushes are soldered in place to the point where moving the housing can tear the connections. I would stay away from anything chrome since it retains a lot of heat and that does not help keep the alternator cool. Polished is an option, too but you will have to go aftermarket like Stinger, etc. to find a nice one. MSD supposedly was producing high amp small case GM alternators but they were having cooling problems last I knew. My recommendation is to go to AutoZone and get a 140-amp lifetime warranty alt. from a '96 Impala SS with the 6" case (they are 6 and 12 clocking positions btw) and build yourself (or buy aftermarket) an adjustable heim-end bracket and then you can mount it however you want on your engine-you use a HELP alternator wire harness for it and use the large red lead to your red lead and the white lead to your brown voltage sensing lead and the third wire lead from the universal alt. harness (brown) you dis-regard unless you are running a diesel w/tach). I'm running this alternator on my car and I've had zero problems with it, best alternator for the money IMO right now.