PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Easy Question - Changing plugs on a ZZ4 Crate Motor (pic inside)

Silver TT
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi guys,

Probably a really dumb and easy quesiton, but what is involved in changing the plugs on a ZZ4 355 Crate Motor? I have had my '68 RS Vert sitting for a while and it starts and idles perfectly, but is a bit rough under acceleration. I am thinking the tank of gas went bad since I forgot to put in the fuel stabilizer or the plugs are dirty and fouled.

Should I just empty the tank and refill with new gas?
Should I change the plugs?
Something else?

Here is a pic of the motor:
http://www.danvene.com/gallery/68camaro/MVC_016F

If I do change the plugs, do I need any special tools?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Nine Ball
10-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Should be relatively easy, but since you have headers you might have to unbolt the headers to get access to some of the plugs. Just depends on if your headers allow for plugs to be removed or not.

I'd replace the fuel filter first and see if that works. Bad gas can clog a fuel filter instantly and cause the engine to surge under open throttle.

Silver TT
10-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Should be relatively easy, but since you have headers you might have to unbolt the headers to get access to some of the plugs. Just depends on if your headers allow for plugs to be removed or not.

I'd replace the fuel filter first and see if that works. Bad gas can clog a fuel filter instantly and cause the engine to surge under open throttle.

Thanks Tony.

Should I even bother replacing the plugs or is it most likely something else?

When I put the car away it was running great. It sat for about a year, getting started about once every 2-3 months. Next time I took it out to actually drive it, it was very rough. Eventhough I let it run for a few hours and drove it a bit it hasn't gotten any better.

I put a half a tank of new gas in and some fuel stabilizer, but it hasn't gotten better yet.

Thanks,

Dan