PDA

View Full Version : What all do I need to put a 4l60E in my 69 camaro

merriman44
02-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Hey folks, like the title says i'm lookin to put a 4l60E into my camaro. I've decided on the 4l60E bc it is cheaper (i can get a used one), and can change the shift points on it (or so i'm told). My question is what all would i need for this conversion? Also, I wouldn't mind if anyone would like to suggest a different overdrive setup. I'm very open to suggestions. The car won't exceed 400 horse/torque and is basically stock. I'm just TIRED of my slushbox and want the added fuel economy of a overdrive
Thanks in advance,
David
69 camaro

rocketrod
02-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know whats needed to put a 4l60e in a 69, probably not all that difficult, but a 2004R would be a good choice and a very easy swap.

Steve Chryssos
02-20-2006, 06:56 PM
-Transmission
-Converter
-Computer
-4 Speed Shifter
-Shorter driveshaft

And if your car is carbureted, you will also need a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) to carburetor adapter

rocketrod
02-20-2006, 07:26 PM
-Transmission
-Converter
-Computer
-4 Speed Shifter
-Shorter driveshaft

And if your car is carbureted, you will also need a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) to carburetor adapter
Probably will need a different crossmember, but then I don't know what trans he currently has.

Steve Chryssos
02-21-2006, 07:06 AM
It's possible to make the stock crossmember work with very little effort. But there are bolt on crossmembers available for a no brainer install here http://www.transmissioncenter.net/gforce_double_hump_crossmembers_.htm

merriman44
02-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Well i thought about the 200R4 but am tossing around the idea of putting an lt-1 in it at a later date, so it'd be nice to be able to match up the two later. Also, i don't believe i'd need a new tranny and some are selling for less 500. Finally, by slushbox, I meant powerglide. Ha, I thought that was the formal name for those piece of poop transmissions. I know that a lot of pro-street guys swear by them but 4 gears are so much more fun than 2!