PDA

View Full Version : American Hot Rod last night?

jay web
10-02-2004, 07:21 AM
I know alot of you dont like / watch this, but, who got fired at the end? I fell asleep right before the end.

slck6t9
10-02-2004, 07:49 AM
The young metal working guy.

socalfandabodys
10-02-2004, 07:53 AM
In my opinion blue bear should have gotten fired. I know at my work if I allow that and the guy getting made fun of quits and sues my place of work he would win.

73novaguy
10-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Socal.... I admit that Blue Bear was part in the wrong doing, but the young metal worker telling the high ups to do it themselves! What the hell are they paying him for? I do think there should have been some sort of reprocussion for Blue Bear also. But even Boyd likes to have some sort of light hearted mood and I think this is the reason they keep Blue Bear (aka antagonizer) there.

And what about the guy that blew up at Blue Bear?! Boy does he have a temper. Kind of a hot head! Last night there seemed to be alot of new faces on the show.

zbugger
10-02-2004, 10:51 AM
That kid getting fired was so full of crap. I know what he said, and I know what he meant when he said it. The problem was that manager had a heated rod up his ass after getting that speeding ticket. He wouldn't listen to what the kid was saying. Also, the kid didn't really explain that Charlie was the one that told him how to do it. I'm kinda like bluebear. I have that kind of personality. If I find out how to bug someone, and they start getting in a huff, it just becomes more fun. The idea is to ignore us so that you can actually get focused on whatever the hell you're supposed to be doing. If I can distract someone like that, it kinda makes me wanna work less. If someone just keeps going and gets his stuff done, I'm right on their tales getting my stuff done. Some people really just don't get what bad timing is either. Beetle Baily should have been fired for his little "After lunch" comment. Boyd really has a bad personality when it comes to dealing with other people. Especially people he feels he can't control. I think I'd be fired after a week, if I even lasted that long. Although they may appreciate my "I don't take **** from anyone" attitude at work. No problem though. That's the only real thing that puts me off from that show. The guys run a kind of a ragged shop, but put out really nice stuff in the end.

will69camaro
10-02-2004, 11:37 AM
I turned it off after Boyd took him out and "scared him" for telling that guy to do it himself. If that guy wouldn't have been so pissed off the he messed up and got himself a ticket, he would have heard the kid say "just tell me how to do it and i'll redo it". He said that multiple times before he finally just gave up and said well if you want it done right you have to do it yourself. I dont think he was telling the guy he needs to do it he was probably getting pissed that the jackass wasn't listening to him say he'd fix it just tell him what he did wrong. Also i've only seen a couple shows but i think that "blue bear" or whatever kid should be fired A.S.A.P.

That show is the reason i will never buy boyd coddington stuff...

William

TRILOGYZ28
10-02-2004, 02:10 PM
just my opinion.
i have watched that episode twice to double check what had happened.
after viewing it twice, Boyd Coddington can keep his quote "shop" (little circus), his cars and everything about the Boyd Coddington name.
the way things should be handled, get handled in the totally wrong way.
Boyd and wayne...or dwayne (whatever his name is) are the ringleaders !

Flynlo416
10-02-2004, 02:19 PM
I totally agree with TRILOGY!! And in my own opinion .....The only way that shop is still in business is because of the name!! Anybody else who treated customers and venders the way they do would be put at the wayside by now!! Oh and by the way Dwayne rides a Sporster =CHICK BIKE Again only my opinion........lol

phattires68
10-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Apart from everyone in the shop acting it's romper room... that's a given. The hoaky way they found the "old fastback in the barn"... Some forgotten car... They bought a very nice restorable GT, threw some straw and a tarp over it and played treasure island. What crap... "Gee-whiz Boyd the gas hasn't even turned to varnish and the battery is great after beening in yonder barn for a bazzillion years!"

Personally, the best part of the farce was when they pulled it onto the trailer and the front rotors were still shinny. Guess Farmer John greased em up before he put the tarp over her...

Such crap...

THEN THEY BURNED UP THE PROBABLY NUMBERS MATCHING 289!!!!

I'm bitter...

Flynlo416
10-02-2004, 03:03 PM
AMEN phattires68!!!!!!!!!!

socalfandabodys
10-02-2004, 03:47 PM
And to top it off the tractor had a key and even started on the first try. Oh and the mustang ranch sign was the perfect touch. I couldnt have the heart even to blow up a little 6 inline like that. The saddest part was that boyd doesnt know how to do burnouts. he alsmost went through the side of the wall. I think the shop was way better back in the early 90's when people like Chip foose and Jesse James were working there. Now the only people at boyds shop that seem to be good workers are the painter and the older guy with the big mustache

73novaguy
10-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Although I missed the episode where they pulled the Mustang out of the barn (must have been doing something more important with my time, like watching paint dry) I do agree 110% with Socal about the painter and the mustache dude being the only hard workers. The younger kid that works mainly with the mustache dude is also a good employee that looks to hold his own. And the fact the Boyd (aka ringleader) did that to the guy to scare him and then Dwayne actually went out and fired him. What a bunch of horse crap!!!!!! I think maybe Dwayne should get his hands dirty and shut his mouth at times! I think the guy just likes to hear himself talk!!! Maybe him and Boyds old wife (secretary) should go out on a date! :enguard: Boy would that be a fired up evening! And Boyds new wife, golly money is doing some talkin there huh? Where do I get me some????? I need to water that money tree out in the yard huh? :icon_razz

blazer4corners
10-02-2004, 05:03 PM
after he lost his original shop due to getting busted for embezlment. the current shop is actually his sons thats why his ex wife oversees all the money end of things. yea so you could say that they only survive by his name and previous reputation. because hes the reason that high end rods have such a calling price

TRILOGYZ28
10-02-2004, 06:41 PM
I still watch the show for the car related stuff, but I can do without the bickering and crap. I wanted to hear that, I'd go back to my ex-wife.jump:

Christopher

i hear ya bro ! :cheers:

Smoke'm
10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
QUOTE- after he lost his original shop due to getting busted for embezlment. the current shop is actually his sons thats why his ex wife oversees all the money end of things.

aaahhh that makes sense now..I could not figure how screwed up that shop was being run...I dont know about you guys but I would be embarrassed if I was Boyd most of those guys have no buisness working on a car..they should be pushing a broom around the Greyhound bus depot...some talent there for sure just have not seen it, except the painter and the cad Engineer guy , dudes have class and works there a$$ off..but some of the mistakes they make are just from people that dont care about what they are doing or more like dont know what they are doing just bumbling through a install..and it doesnt appear they learn from them either ...I am with some of you guys Boyd has probably opened up a bunch of eyes that now have a poor view on his work..he needs to stick with wheels.

Bud.

TurboLark
10-02-2004, 07:13 PM
I've always thought that Dwayne should find another line of work. He doesnt have the temperment nor people skillz needed to oversee that number of people. Same for Boyd. He's just a jackass. If I did work like half those guys, I would have never had an automotive job for more than a week.

DanT69
10-02-2004, 11:11 PM
If that show has had any influence on me its this; I sure as hell wouldnt want to work there. Boyd Coddington just doesnt seem that talented to me, and the only people I could imagine wanting to work with is Charlie the body shop guy. I think its important to keep in mind they edit a tremendous amount of film out, because if everyone acted like that all the time absolutely nothing would get done. I think I get more enjoyment out of watching Chip Foose and his team of people work on various projects on all the episodes of Rides they have been in.

blazer4corners
10-03-2004, 12:13 AM
I've followed Boyd's progression since the early 80's and read every thing i can on the the man and when he started he was a master at his trade ,he started as a machinst for disney world. but i think he has gotten so big he forgets where he came from. thats the problem with some of these high end shops,they ride there name and don't have as much personal invovlment in the cars and the quality of work goes down hill.Hell look at pete chaporis [pcg3]socal speed hes still builds customers cars look at the quality ,awesome. i could name shop after shop of famous builders and they still build customers cars themselves.I love street rods more than any other type of car so i follow them more.i tell you the best quality work i've ever seen is out of MasterImageCustoms out of Cali and they mainly specalize in custom lowrider trucks .But then again quality work is quality work no matter who does or what kinda car its on.PERIOD

blazer4corners
sorry i screwed up, :hand: double posted

blazer4corners
I've followed Boyd's progression since the early 80's and read every thing i can on the the man and when he started he was a master at his trade ,he started as a machinst for disney world. but i think he has gotten so big he forgets where he came from. thats the problem with some of these high end shops,they ride there name and don't have as much personal invovlment in the cars and the quality of work goes down hill.Hell look at pete chaporis [pcg3]socal speed hes still builds customers cars look at the quality ,awesome. i could name shop after shop of famous builders and they still build customers cars themselves.I love street rods more than any other type of car so i follow them more.i tell you the best quality work i've ever seen is out of MasterImageCustoms out of Cali and they mainly specalize in custom lowrider trucks .But then again quality work is quality work no matter who does or what kinda car its on.PERIOD ,sorry about the long post its 4something in the morning and i got coors light in my system.

GT350Clone
10-04-2004, 04:35 AM
In case anyone wonders what the car ends up looking like, HERE IT IS FINISHED (http://www.hotrods2die4.com/cars/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington/). Personally, I think it looks like :barf: .

Note the stripes below the grill in THIS PICTURE (http://www.hotrods2die4.com/cars/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington_front.jpg ) - not even straight - off-center by 1/2" or so... REAR BRAKES (http://www.hotrods2die4.com/cars/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington_custom_wh eel.jpg) are a little SMALL, don't you think? The Yellow with silver stripe thing just doesn't work for ME (YMMV). Oh, and those stripes look odd?!? Apparently, they were painted a continuous width, whereas your typical Lemans stripes actually taper (http://a5.cpimg.com/image/29/5C/21969705-af97-0200014F-.jpg) so the width "appears" constant when viewed head-on. Why hack out the shock towers? A 351 fits just fine, and they COULD HAVE used something like GW or TCP/Alston's coilover setup for better handling than the ole Mustang II setup. Why do you delete the wipers, but leave the switch? Shave the mirrors, but leave the big chrome door handles hanging in the breeze? "Clean up the lines" on the side of the car, but add the GT lights in the grill? The sides of the car look fairly "clean", except the door handles, but the front and rear views look cluttered. I just don't get it...

The fact that it's already "For Sale" makes the whole "7 week rush" storyline seem as contrived as the "barn find". And the shop antics - that may work for American Choppers, but at least we get to see SOME of the fabrication work in between rants.

I spent a lot of time last weekend really checking out the "Fastforward Fastback" by Troy T. I'm not 100% in favor of everything he did, but it's definitely MUCH, MUCH nicer work. Boyd's creation doesn't hold a candle :candle: to it.

jay web
10-04-2004, 05:08 AM
Didnt mean to cause such a stir! I agree with all this for the most part. "finding" the car in a barn like that? RIGHT!! Personally- If I thought I was getting fired anyway, or that bluebear continually aggravated everybody like that all the time and Boyd or whoever did nothing about it - His big a$$ would have been kicked on my way out. just my .02

derekf
10-04-2004, 05:42 AM
Well... I watch whenever I know there's a new episode coming, and here's why:

1. They show more actual work than Overhaulin'.
2. It reminds me that I'm not the only one that does stuff wrong and has to redo it.
3. They show the painting sometimes, which was my favorite part of Monster Garage when I still watched it.
4. It's like watching Dallas all over again - you can't help but hope that Blue Bear gets what he's got coming.
5. It really, really, really makes me appreciate my current employer.

907rs
10-04-2004, 05:52 AM
after he lost his original shop due to getting busted for embezlment. the current shop is actually his sons thats why his ex wife oversees all the money end of things. yea so you could say that they only survive by his name and previous reputation. because hes the reason that high end rods have such a calling price

Embezzlement?... Enlighten me, the story I heard was that he had to file for bankruptcy due to bad business decisions.

Radio Joe
10-04-2004, 05:57 AM
I dont watch the show much. I dont have cable, but whenever I go to my parents on a weekend or out of town and the hotel has cable I scan for all those car building shows. I just absolutely hate BOYD! I didnt used to, but he is just an ass. I saw him buging the paint guy to repaint file cabinets while they were already behind on their build schedule... I am guessing that is just crap for the show but come-on!

Really what I hate the most is the same cars over and over again rolling outta the shop but because it is BOYD's shop, they are supposed to be works of art. The last show I watched they needed to get a fiberglass car ready for a show and of course made it barely in time bu they unveiled the car and it was the same car I have seen built by a hundred other guys before. Im just tired of him and his shop.

I say all this and yet, when was the last time one of my cars was even in a magazine.... never. :hmm:

litevette
10-04-2004, 07:32 AM
In a couple of episodes I've seen boyd actually try to get involved and do something. He screwed up both times. I think he is an idiot and a ego maniac. I to would never buy anything with his name on it. I can't beleive how some people treat him like a star and ask for his autograph. What a turd.

steve g
10-12-2004, 12:49 PM
I've seen the show a few times and thought that it was mostly drama for the cameras. It's the same format as American Chopper. The producers create a lot of that drama to make what they think will be an interesting show. I've been behind the scenes at another "home improvement" show. What you see on tv is often scripted. Not knowing anything about the guys at Boyd's shop, it makes me wonder if some of these guys aren't there to be "actors" rather than competent car builders.

Take what you see with a grain of salt.

jonny51
10-12-2004, 01:53 PM
In case anyone wonders what the car ends up looking like, HERE IT IS FINISHED (http://www.hotrods2die4.com/cars/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington/). Personally, I think it looks like :barf: .

Note the stripes below the grill in THIS PICTURE (http://www.hotrods2die4.com/cars/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington_front.jpg ) - not even straight - off-center by 1/2" or so... REAR BRAKES (http://www.hotrods2die4.com/cars/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington/1965_Mustang_GT_Fastback_Boyd_Coddington_custom_wh eel.jpg) are a little SMALL, don't you think? The Yellow with silver stripe thing just doesn't work for ME (YMMV). Oh, and those stripes look odd?!? Apparently, they were painted a continuous width, whereas your typical Lemans stripes actually taper (http://a5.cpimg.com/image/29/5C/21969705-af97-0200014F-.jpg) so the width "appears" constant when viewed head-on. Why hack out the shock towers? A 351 fits just fine, and they COULD HAVE used something like GW or TCP/Alston's coilover setup for better handling than the ole Mustang II setup. Why do you delete the wipers, but leave the switch? Shave the mirrors, but leave the big chrome door handles hanging in the breeze? "Clean up the lines" on the side of the car, but add the GT lights in the grill? The sides of the car look fairly "clean", except the door handles, but the front and rear views look cluttered. I just don't get it...

The fact that it's already "For Sale" makes the whole "7 week rush" storyline seem as contrived as the "barn find". And the shop antics - that may work for American Choppers, but at least we get to see SOME of the fabrication work in between rants.

I spent a lot of time last weekend really checking out the "Fastforward Fastback" by Troy T. I'm not 100% in favor of everything he did, but it's definitely MUCH, MUCH nicer work. Boyd's creation doesn't hold a candle :candle: to it.

For 150k i will take a yenko camaro!!The Fastforward fastback is outta that cars league.

phonedude_mln
10-12-2004, 02:37 PM
a multi-reply:

1. Boyd, Duane, et al. are unbearable. The schtick works on American Chopper b/c
everyone is actually funny (intentionally or not). Charlie is the only guy you'd want
to have a beer with.

2. After seeing the show a few times, my wife forbid BC wheels for my Fairlane.
After this episode, I agree with her.

3. I highly recommend Tivo: I zip through all the stupid parts of AH, Rides, Overhaulin,
Horsepower TV, etc. Overhaulin becomes a 10 minute show w/ Tivo.

4. re: the Mustang.... I was pleased to see them pick a mustang. After the looking
at the URL that GT350clone pointed out, I have to agree:

- the yellow is nice, but the silver doesn't "work". a body color rear bumper might
have made it "pop" more, but the silver stripe and the chrome compete.

- the rear brakes look awfully puny... is that a run-of-the-mill Explorer setup? not
what you would expect for a $150k car.

- Carroll knew that the less in the mustang grille, the better

- as for the stripes... every Ford nut knows they have to actually taper to look
the same size (optical illusion, follows the car's dimensions, etc.)...

for the GM guys:

* 2" Constant distance between the two stripes
* 9 1/4" At bottom of front lower valance
* 9 1/4" At Leading edge of the hood
* 10 1/2" At Bottom of the windshield
* 10 1/2" At Top of the windshield
* 10 3/8" At Top of rear window
* 10 1/8" At Bottom of rear window
* 10" At Leading edge of trunk lid
* 10" At Bottom edge of rear valance

quoting from http://www.geocities.com/eskoufos/shelbyfaq.html

- I will give it that the stance is good.

- finally, given the $$$ and shop resources they have, building this car in 7 weeks
would be a breeze.