PDA

View Full Version : color sanding and buffing....

68RallySport
09-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Do i really need to do it? The car has been painted for almost three weeks and it still hasnt left the shop! They havnt color sanded or buffed it. From what i hear the paint looks bada$$ as is and i was told i really didnt need to do it. ANy opinions?
David

camcojb
09-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Depends on the quality and flatness of the paint job, and you're opinion of what you want it to look like. You can have a nice paint job without color sanding/buffing, but it will ALWAYS be flatter and more mirror-like if you do color sand it.

Jody

68RallySport
09-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Do you have to color sand it imiediatly? Can i have some time to decide?
Thanks for the quick response Jody!
David

68protouring454
09-29-2004, 06:06 AM
depends on the paint, some you can wet sand and buff a month later and do it easy, others will harden up like a rock and take forever to buff out, if you are thinking about it, just wet sand it now, it will be alot easier, i like to wet sand within 2 days of paint, i use standox and it gets extremely hard and buffs hard, other paints like dupont etc will still buff somehwat easy after a week or two, but it will only get harder with time, goodluck
jake

hotrodgary
09-29-2004, 06:47 PM
Like Jake said...The longer you wait the harder it will be! I like to do it within a couple days after its been sprayed also.

But if it looks good now.....It'll look even better after its been sanded and wheeled!!

Later, Gary

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2004, 07:02 AM
I like it when it is hard as a rock to buff. I like to let mine a cure 100% before I buff to allow any shrinking, die back or any other wierd shoet that may happen to hapen. Also, I hate pumping a bunch of rubbing compounds into un cured paint, that will cure with the compounds in it. Seen to many black cars turn brown and milky 3 days after a to early buff.
If you go 1000, then 2000, and use good buffing products, fully cured, hard as a rock paint, is better buffing.
I have a frined that deals in Vettes, and he sands and buffs ever new one he gets. Talk about hard as a rock! but if you have looked at a C6 up close, you can see this is needed.

Smoke'm
09-30-2004, 07:19 AM
I may be old school but I like to wet sand the intire car perfect after a few days of spraying then I would let it breath at least a couple weeks a month is best and if possible get it out where it will get a little warmth to help the paint cure before buffing less chance of it hazing up later and you really dont want to load the paint with compound and wax while it is trying to cure..thats why so many jobs go bad when they appeared ok.

Bud.

68RallySport
09-30-2004, 10:27 AM
You guys are the *****! I should be getting her back today at like 8pm West coast time so ill go hunt down a digital camera!
David
Thanks for the quick responses!

ProdigyCustoms
09-30-2004, 02:56 PM
I usually break the paint at some point, and final sand before buff.