PDA

View Full Version : Tach not working w/ MSD ready-to-run distributor

martinjsb
09-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Hello,

I just installed an MSD pro-billet ready-to-run distributor (part #8360) on my 1969 Camaro. Other than this, the car is a totally stock 1969 350ci Camaro. This distributor is supposedly a straight swap for the stock unit.

After installing it according to the instructions, the car fired up first time. However, my tach no longer works. Nothing at all. It was working fine with the stock distributor this morning before I did the swap. I do not have any other ignition modifications, no ignition box, or anything like that.

Does anybody know what might be going on?

Thanks in advance... Martin

camcojb
09-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Are you running an ignition box too, or just the distributor and a coil? Is the tach lead hooked to the negative side of the coil?

Jody

martinjsb
09-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Jody,

Thanks that was it - didn't connect tach wire back up to coil. It was hiding, and I forgot there was a second wire on the negative side of the coil. Now I know what its for! I really appreciate your help!

Martin.

NOVA
04-12-2006, 06:40 PM
I have installed the ready to run set up and everything is stock Except for an aftermarket stock tach from classic Ind.(replaces the clock) but it will not work with the ready to run set,is there another way to hook this up?I sure would like to use the new tach!
New ZZ4 and the MSD ignition everything else completely stock! any ideas?

NOVA
04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I have installed the ready to run set up and everything is stock Except for an aftermarket stock tach from classic Ind.(replaces the clock) but it will not work with the ready to run set up? is there another way to hook this up?I sure would like to use the new tach!
New ZZ4 and the MSD ignition everything else completely stock! any ideas?

MrQuick
04-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Jody
Are you running an ignition box too, or just the distributor and a coil? Is the tach lead hooked to the negative side of the coil? same deal. if you running a box, plug in the side. A ready run. Negative side of coil. Depending on the type of tach you have you may need a tach adapter.

NOVA
04-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Jody same deal. if you running a box, plug in the side. A ready run. Negative side of coil. Depending on the type of tach you have you may need a tach adapter.

Will the tach adapter also cure radio noise? or is that where a tach filter would be needed Ive heard of both?

Thank You,