PDA

View Full Version : Modify a rear sway bar???

GUS68
09-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey guys!!! A freind of mine gave me a rear sway bar off of an early 80s Buick type-T. I amthinking of using it on my 68 chevelle, but the outer ends that bolt to the inside of the lower control arms have a different angle than the Buick sway bar (just about the same but not quite). I know this is kinda hard to explain, but I'll try. If you have ever seen a rear sway bar for a chevelle or 80s G-body, you know it has two holes on each end that bolt to the lowwer arms, well when I putthe sway bar into place the rear bolt holes on each side line up pretty good but the front holes on each side are about an inch away from the control arms on each side. It might be possible to get a long bolt for the front holes and draw them up, but I would think that would put alot of stress on things. Another thing I was thinking about was maybe heating the sway bar at each end where it bends and bending the bar, has anyone ever done this??? (I myself think it would work but would defeat the purpose and wreck the sway bar), Another idea I had was to make brackets at the correct angle and weld them to the bottom of the control arms, but would that change the way the sway bar effects the suspension??? since it is mounted in a different location??? Or should I just buy one for a chevelle and quit being such a tight ass??!!! :jump: But hey it was FREE!!!

parsonsj
09-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Don't heat and bend. Sway bars are heat-treated, and you'll change its properties.

Don't "draw it up" with bolts. You are right about stress problems.

I'd recommend you get one that fits ... they aren't that expensive. But you idea of welding bosses one the lower control arms may be OK.

jp

CAMAROBOY69
09-23-2004, 05:17 AM
What about an idea of him making his own I-link rods? Mabey with a slight curve or shape so they fit well? Thats if you want to go cheap since you already have that sway bar. Otherwise take jp advice.