PDA

View Full Version : Art Carr Or Bowtie Overdrives?

toofun
12-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Getting a 2004r tranny and am wondering which way to go. Art Carr has a special right now on the 2004r which includes the tv cable and bracket, streetmax 2004r lock up unit,9 inch lock up converter custom built for any stall you want, a tranny cooler, deep aluminum pan, and locking dipstick and tube assembly.It says it will handle up to 450 hp Price is 1899 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR.

Bowtie overdrives has their level 2 tranny sells for 1050 and they will include the tv system. I think everything else is extra. Besides the price difference which company has a better setup? My car is street driven and will have about 475 hp and 475 torque behind it. ANY OPINIONS OR EXPERIENCES would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
toofun

chicane67
12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
I have used Bowtie, DRW and 'The Toy Shop' exclusively for auto transmissions. And I like them all, given a specific application.

The Toy Shop only does 700R4 and the 4L80, so they dont fit this shoe.

DRW builds all the trannies for the 800+hp Grand National chassis that see Ken Dutwilers hands in them..... so that says alot right there by itself.

Bowtie also makes a nifty trans for your application. I have always had excellent customer service from them and they stand behind their product.

Out of all of this..... I would look at the stage 3 offerings from either Bowtie or DRW. A little saftey and room for error in an automatic transmission will go along way. Having the knowledge from doing quite a few of these trannies shows me leads me to stepping up a couple of bucks to do it right.

Here is a little tech info for you on the 2004R (http://www.drwtransmission.com/thm_200-4r.htm) .

.....and some more reasons not to run a 4L60E (http://www.drwtransmission.com/4L60E.htm) aka 700R4.

mini69
12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
I Do Not Understand Why Nobody Likes The 700 Trans I Have Had Great Success W/ It. Right Know I Have A Friend Who I Built Up A 700 Trans For And Has Been Going Strong For 2 Racing Seasons Plus Criusing Time . He Is Pushing Out Around 900 hpW/ Nos. Personally I Perfer 700 Over 200-4R. Either Trans Is A Good Chioce THOUGH

Steve Chryssos
12-14-2005, 05:03 AM
No, you have to read between the lines. The article says "don't race a 700R4/4L60/4L60E with ultra hard shifts and a GV hanging off the output shaft. They may as well have written:
Don't race a 700 with ultra hard shifts and a GV, while towing a loaded tractor trailer on a track that goes uphill with Oprah Winfrey and all her luggage in the backseat--on slicks.

Then they proceed to list the weak links in a 700/4L60 design. All of those parts are available in upgraded form through the aftermarket.

These guys favor the 200. Which is fine. It looks like they've really done their homework. They must build a fine 200 transmission. But if you read the 200 page, there are countless flaws in the stock 200 design--just like there are with the 700-4L60E.

Ultimately, transmissions are no different than engines. It comes down to who blueprinted and built the trans, what parts were used--and most importantly--was the transmission calibrated for your particular application. The 4L60E is infinetely more reliable than it's older sister, the 700R4, because digital calibration is so much more comprehensive than a shift kit/TV cable.

As for Mark's application, I too would go with a built 200-R4. It's just too easy a swap. And if DRW performs all of the blueprinting/upgrade mods listed on that page, I'd be giving them a call first.

cw67
12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I went with the level 3 2004r from Bowtie Overdrives. I chose that one just for extra security. I am very pleased with it. Their instructions on the setup was very good. Plus they want warranty it if you don't call and let them know what your pressure readings are. I had no problem with this because I wanted it to be right. It has been in my 67 camaro for about 2 years with no problems. I chose the 200 because I have 4:10 gears in the rear and the 200 had a better gear ratio from first to second and the overdrive was geared a little better. I bought the lock-up converter from them also. Hope this helps.

Chris

chicane67
12-14-2005, 10:30 PM
700 vs 200.

The 700 parts are smaller than the 200's..... and the statement of the 700 parts that broke were OE and aftermarket parts there Steevo.

Small parts is small parts. There aint no rocket science to that.

The transmission theater is a lot smaller than people think. DRW, Bowtie, The Toy Shop (former GM drivetrain (4L60/80 specific) and Tonawanda employees), Hughes, Art Carr, Continential and a few others that are in the top ten of the industry...... all are in cahoots when it comes to piece parts. Who ever make the toughest, most durable piece...... is who feeds the rest of the industry with that specific product.

One isnt any better than the other. A weak part is a weak part. A small part is a small part..... but Steevo nailed it on the head. It comes down to the attention to detail in the blueprint and assembly. Hands down, no question about it.

toofun
12-15-2005, 10:44 AM
OK,

I thank you for the opinions but in your opinion who makes the best blueprint for the buck??? Only reason I asked about Art Carr is that they have a complete package with EVERYTHING included for one price of 1899 shipped!! How do the others compare??

rocketrod
12-15-2005, 04:42 PM
OK,

I thank you for the opinions but in your opinion who makes the best blueprint for the buck??? Only reason I asked about Art Carr is that they have a complete package with EVERYTHING included for one price of 1899 shipped!! How do the others compare??
Are you talking about artcarr.com or California Performance Transmission (http://www.cpttransmission.com/) (the real Art Carr)?

Johnny Blaze
12-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Contact info for The Toy Shop?

chicane67
12-19-2005, 12:36 AM
I believe their number is still 909-620-5849 and ask for Mike. If not lemme know amd I'll get the information for you.