PDA

View Full Version : Hei with msd?

1Bad68camaro
12-12-2005, 06:20 PM
How well does the msd 6al work with a stock hei distributer? Took my camaro to the dyno this weekend and the ignition was cutting out on me past 4500 rpm to 7k. I already had a msd sitting around and was thinking of hooking it up, but had heard from some local people that the msd doesnt work very well with the hei distributer so i figured i would ask before i hooked it up.

GBodyGMachine
12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
I have never had a problem. follow the diagram is all.

jeff

MikeDVC
12-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I spoke to MSD about this a while back, the box will work with an HEI dist. Mine required an adaptor to replace the module. See Instructions:http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf

streetk14
12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I ran a 6AL with a HEI for quite a while with no problems. I replaced it with a MSD pro billet due to firewall clearance. To use a HEI with the MSD box, you have to remove the ignition module (the box handles that duty). The HEI will work great, but you really should upgrade the coil and modify the advance curve if you haven't already.
-Andy

zbugger
12-12-2005, 10:47 PM
How well does the msd 6al work with a stock hei distributer? Took my camaro to the dyno this weekend and the ignition was cutting out on me past 4500 rpm to 7k. I already had a msd sitting around and was thinking of hooking it up, but had heard from some local people that the msd doesnt work very well with the hei distributer so i figured i would ask before i hooked it up.
I had pretty much the same issue. I put the MSD box on there and I never had that issue again. Although it did help me find a slipping transmission problem, and it also helped me float my valves. Other than that, it works great!!!