PDA

View Full Version : AC Delete Box Resistor placement, 69 Camaro

rcmotorhead69
12-04-2005, 07:39 AM
I found an AC Delete Box by American Graffiti. I ordered it but there was not a resistor that I could order from the company. I have the original resistor but it will not fit into the existing underdash duct work. I am cleaning up the firewall and would like to put the resistor behind the firewall. Is this a possibility? Is there another non-air flowing resistor that I can purchase which would allow me to use the existing dashboard controls? There may be an easier answer. Does the resistor I removed require airflow across it? If not, what placement options do you recommend? I contacted American Grafitti, but have not received any help. I have a 1969 Camaro, the AC was factory installed.
Ronnie
Birmingham, AL

MrQuick
12-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes it does have to be in air flow to keep it from over heating and burning up. You can file cut a hole in the box and screw it in. Just find a spot where it will not get wet. Welcome to the site and be sure you introduce yourself above...and post a couple pictures of you project.

rcmotorhead69
12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I had a thought about extending the wires and moving the resistor down to the passenger kick panel. There is a door inside the kick panel, I would remove the door and place the resistor inside. I believe that is where the air to the blower motor comes from. Do you think this is enough air for the resistor? Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ronnie

Camaro_Dan
12-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I also want to know if there is any new kind of resistorpacks I can use that don't have to have air flowing over it.

Camaro_Dan
12-14-2005, 04:05 AM
Nobody knows if there are any other resistor packs?

MrQuick
12-14-2005, 11:15 PM
that spot should be fine....don't know what you mean Dan, GM has many different types but not sure where you are going. Any resistance device needs some sort of cooling to keep it from burning up.

cwheelhouse
06-07-2017, 08:59 AM
How did this go? I'm working on the same project. I have purchased the AC Delete and want to move the relay to the inside of the firewall as well as the resistor. So far finding a good spot has been the toughest part. It sounds like, according to these posts, it needs to be placed somewhere to keep it from overheating. Does it have to be in the HVAC airflow? What have others used as an alternate placement? Ideally, there won't be any wires visible and I will still maintain all the fan speeds I was used to before I removed the AC.

Any pictures of this install?

Thanks!