PDA

View Full Version : All of a sudden runs like it's missing

splash
11-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Fresh built Pontiac 350 less than 2 months and 200 miles on engine. Ran beautifully up until yesterday. Went to start it and it runs like its only running on 6 or 7 cyl's. When I give it gas i have to do it very slowly and when I do get the RPM's a little high it sounds rough. It wont stay running at idle. It has a Flame thrower HEI and a Holly carb with no choke. if it had a choke it starts like the choke is stuck open but i can eliminate that since there is no choke.I belive I do smell what seems like unburned gas. The car does not back fire while running. I checked the plug wire connection at the plug and the cap and the are good.the distributor is tight so i don't believe the timing has changed. My assumption is a bad plug wire (which are also new Accels). has anyone dealt with a problem like this before? Where and how would be the best way to check this problem.

GBodyGMachine
11-28-2005, 07:08 PM
you can try a spark plug wire tester. looks like a plug but with an aligator clip so you can ground it. you will be able to see if you are getting voltage through the wires.

Jeff

MrQuick
11-28-2005, 11:21 PM
sounds like you might have flooded the engine and fuel fouled a couple plugs. If the choke flap is still there,make sure its not closing.
Also check your float level and see if your carb isn't over flowing.Might have debris holding the float open.

splash
11-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is where I am now. I went and bought one of those tools with the clip for checking the plug wire (looks pretty cool). My buddy is coming over in the next few days to help me check since it takes 2 people since the car won't stay running. I did go around all 8 with a plug wire from my T/A that I know is good and problem is still there on all 8 trys. Could be farther back in the distributor I guess. Also plugs look black (to rich i guess) So after the electrical check the plugs will be changed. The carb looks like it is working A-OK but that will be next if ignitions check out.

Thanks again.

Tom