PDA

View Full Version : Second gen camaro front suspension set up

silo84
10-26-2017, 06:22 AM
I have a 73 Camaro and I have recently stepped up from stock control arms to the UMI adjustable with tall ball joints (part number 265256-1 http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=340_445_446) What would be the a good set up for road course and street. I am leaning towards the theory of the same amount of caster as KPI (not sure what a second gen is stock) and plan to go 1 degree camber for street and be able to add normal alignment shims to the upper mounts to pull in more camber for road coarse without changing caster. does that sound about right? or an I missing something?

David Pozzi
10-26-2017, 08:07 PM
I'd run 7 deg positive caster, camber at 2 to 2.5 I've done 1.5 neg camber a lot on the street, I'd try 1 to 1.5 for your street setup. In theory more caster should allow you to set less neg camber and still have the tire flat around corners as the steering wheel is turned and the car dives and gains positive caster and more neg camber.
Second gen's toe in under bump, so you don't need much if any toe-in. I'd set 1/8" toe out total and see how that works on the street. For tight autox you can set 3/16" to 1/4" toe out, but that might be a bit much for street driving.

silo84
10-27-2017, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the response, if anyone would know how to set up a stock subframe second gen it would be a Pozzi. I'll start there.

What are your thought on a rear sway bar? needed or not?

mert.celet
10-28-2017, 04:31 AM
On my 2nd gen with ridetech triangulated 4 link, i'm not running any swaybar. Eventhough the my engine's got brutal torque, there's no knife's edge feeling. The rear end is so smooth and controllable unless You want to lose it. Running 305s on all corners.rear qa1s have soft spring rate (175-200 don't remember exactly)
Als on my 4th gen with everything UMI underneath, i wasn't able to control the rearend as with my 2nd gen. (34mm front 21rear) Whatever i did, the rear end swing was so uncontrollable. And the car had the tendency to let go by the mid turn. First i had cut the swaybar chassis mounts about an inch, the swing reduced but was still there. I was about to take it off if i hadn't sold it. So lack of rear sway bar works better for me.