PDA

View Full Version : Which aftermarket leafs for 91 s10 pro daily?

KSPropbender
08-29-2017, 05:54 PM
I'm trying to get my truck back to a roller after I stripped all the suspension out. Right now I need to figure out if there are better leaf alternatives than what I have planned. The overall plan for the truck is this: warm 6.0/t56, tall ball joints, tubular uca/lca, poly everywhere I can put it 3" drop 450lb coils, 2" 98+ blazer drop spindles(so I can run dual piston calipers), hydroboost brake booster, adjustable proportioning valve, 3" drop splot mono leafs from calvert racing with caltracs bars and 3" drop blocks on a TBD disc brake rear end.

I feel like calling it a true pro touring really does a disservice to the guys doing more than bolt on to build pro touring vehicles soooooooo, it's a pro daily spec'd to the gt class of the usca and street modified with scca. My question is in the rear leaf setup. I know guys are running 10's on the split leafs, but how well do they corner? Link setups and coilovers are out because that would move me up too many classes in scca to be competitive. Are there better leaf spring options out there for what I'm building? I am not looking to do one thing really well, but several things pretty well. With traction I may see a high 12 out of the truck when it's cool, and I certainly won't be steam rolling people on the autocross or road courses but I want to be competitive.

RobNoLimit
08-30-2017, 05:49 AM
Look at Speedway Motors Circle track stuff. Using their 'chrysler' style mono leafs allows you to choose a spring rate (150 to 175 will be good for a stockish S10, 125 if it's on a diet) Use the front mount kits and front spring bearings that they have to go with that. No shackles, use the spring slider kits for the rear of the leaf. (less side sway) Not sure you would need the Cal-Tracks, but a torque arm (82-92 camaro) works great. With the soft springs, you can use a bigger sway bar, OE blazer 4x4 is OK. Spend money on a good shock set up.

KSPropbender
08-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Look at Speedway Motors Circle track stuff. Using their 'chrysler' style mono leafs allows you to choose a spring rate (150 to 175 will be good for a stockish S10, 125 if it's on a diet) Use the front mount kits and front spring bearings that they have to go with that. No shackles, use the spring slider kits for the rear of the leaf. (less side sway) Not sure you would need the Cal-Tracks, but a torque arm (82-92 camaro) works great. With the soft springs, you can use a bigger sway bar, OE blazer 4x4 is OK. Spend money on a good shock set up.

I appreciate the help. Im not sure I could run a torque arm as the rules for street modified state that I have to use factory suspension mounting points. Ill look into the spring sliders. Im still leaning towards the cal-tracs for straight line performance. I know what I am building I will have to make some trade offs but I am concerned with bind since it is essentially a parallel 4 link (I use that term loosely) The reason I keep leaning toward them is with 450ish hp and 3" drop blocks I see axle wrap being a big problem for me.

KSPropbender
08-30-2017, 07:30 PM
I have decided to go with the leaf spring sliders. Do I need to weld them on angled so they are parallel to the datum line, or can I weld them on flat to the frame with minimal pinion angle change?

RobNoLimit
08-31-2017, 05:32 AM
level to ground at ride height is best