PDA

View Full Version : Gap between tubular UCA and spindle

Andre.servin
08-08-2017, 09:47 AM
How's it goin, i tried installing some new tubular uppers and lowers on my 65 bel air. The issue I'm having is the ball joint seems to taper to a larger size therefore not letting me install the spindle 100% pressed up against the rubber boot. Lower control arm bolts up just fine.

Im not sure if this is infact a problem or not, so I decided to take some photos and post them and get some input from you guys.

65 Chevy Bel Air (basically the 65 impala) stock suspension except for what seems to be a disc brake up grade from the previous owner, GM stock style upgrade. The Tubular uppers and lowers I bought where Southwest Speed. The spindles are for a 1970 Impala (for the disc brake conversion).

andrewb70
08-08-2017, 09:53 AM
I have no first hand experience with this particular combo, but my gut is telling me that the taper on the ball joint is wrong. Hopefully others will chime in.

Andrew

232_ray
08-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Is that upper ball joint what they call the " taller " joint?? If it is then that's normal because the extra material is added after the tapered area.

andrewb70
08-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Is that upper ball joint what they call the " taller " joint?? If it is then that's normal because the extra material is added after the tapered area.

I have not heard this being done with B-bodies...only on A-bodies....then again maybe this is something new?

Andrew

Andre.servin
08-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Well I called the company and they said that those are stock ball joints, not the taller ball joints.

Would it be possible to maybe machine the spindle or maybe stack so washers? There's enough thread to torque it to spec and I can still fit a cotter pin.

dhutton
08-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Well I called the company and they said that those are stock ball joints, not the taller ball joints.

Would it be possible to maybe machine the spindle or maybe stack so washers? There's enough thread to torque it to spec and I can still fit a cotter pin.

I would leave it as is.

Don