PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage sec gen camaro question

CamaroGuySanJose
07-31-2017, 06:52 PM
I am working on a sec gen pro-touring camaro. It has a Detroit Speed 4 link, sub frame connectors and front sub frame. I am in the middle of installing a Chris Alston 10 point cage (lots of tig welding :) ). My question is on the main hoop, harness bar through cross brace or cross brace through harness bar??? I am still not sold on the cross brace but it does look BA. This will be a track a car with some street driving. I am giving up the back seat so that part doesn't matter but function and fashion are important.

Question

My question is on the main hoop, harness bar through cross brace or cross brace through harness bar???

First post so I hope I posted it to the right forum.

Build-It-Break-It
07-31-2017, 08:57 PM
I think I understand your question.

The harness bar should be one piece. Then if your adding a crossbar that would be spilt into two pieces. Best picture I could find is below. You can see the crossbar is two pieces.

raustinss
07-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Yep..what Ahmad said

Oregon
08-01-2017, 05:01 AM
The DIAGONAL brace should be uninterrupted.

You can split the horizontal harness bar.

The diagonal is there to provide support to the main hoop during a roll over and side impacts . I'd want the strength of an uninterrupted tube there.

NOT A TA
08-01-2017, 05:03 AM
Chassis shop did mine like this.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/The14Carinterior407-1.jpg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/The%2014%20Car%20Safety%20upgrades/The14Carinterior407.jpg.html)

raustinss
08-01-2017, 05:20 AM
I was positive that nhra spec is the horizontal bar must be uninterrupted.... Someone with first hand knowledge of proper spec rollback chime in please

CSG
08-01-2017, 05:53 AM
What rules are you trying to pass? From what I remember NASA and SCCA the diagonal is one-piece and NHRA the horizontal is one-piece.

raustinss
08-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Ahhhh Lil column A Lil column B

David Pozzi
08-01-2017, 09:48 AM
Mark Stiielow does not connect his Harness bar to the diagonal. The harness bar is behind the diagonal and is removable with a bolt or pin on each end. The harness bar is notched so it slips over a 1/2" thick solid steel tab welded to the rear of each main roll hoop. The tabs extend rearward about 3" so the harness bar needs no bends.
I would set the bar on the ledge behind the rear footwell for strength on a second gen Camaro. Placing the main hoop rearward a bit helps access to the rear seat bolts and gives room for the shoulder harness to buckle up. For a street car, you could also make the diagonal a bolt-in so doing any upholstery would be an easier task.