PDA

View Full Version : Southside Machine Tall Spindles

Interceptor5588
07-24-2017, 05:40 AM
Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEGATIVE-ROLL-TALL-Performance-Spindles-for-GM-A-F-X-Body-CHEVELLE-CAMARO-GTO-/122607481103?hash=item1c8bf9b10f:g:xO8AAOSwJQdXC17 u&vxp=mtr

Interceptor5588
07-24-2017, 06:09 AM
Or these -- https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1215-camaro-67-69-chevelle-64-72-nova-68-74-2-drop-tall-upright-spindles.aspx. I'm looking for a geometry correction solution (that doesn't require $2000 in hardware) for near-stock applications.

Twentyover
07-24-2017, 08:19 AM
Hmmm. wonder what the SIA is on these?

Cote
07-24-2017, 01:00 PM
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-Comp-2-Inch-Drop-Performance-Spindles-for-GM-A-F-X-Body-Muscle-Cars,80737.html

Rod
07-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEGATIVE-ROLL-TALL-Performance-Spindles-for-GM-A-F-X-Body-CHEVELLE-CAMARO-GTO-/122607481103?hash=item1c8bf9b10f:g:xO8AAOSwJQdXC17 u&vxp=mtr

I am testing these now ...and so far work very well

Rod
07-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Or these -- https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1215-camaro-67-69-chevelle-64-72-nova-68-74-2-drop-tall-upright-spindles.aspx. I'm looking for a geometry correction solution (that doesn't require $2000 in hardware) for near-stock applications.

that's the Fatman/Ridetech spindle re-branded

USAZR1
08-02-2017, 08:01 PM

I might have those spindles on the front of my 70. Do they have any identifying markings on them?

CliffsBlueCamaro
08-03-2017, 05:26 AM

Rod, do you know if these spindles have the steering arm mounting points moved for bumpsteer correction?

Ben@SpeedTech
08-03-2017, 07:33 AM
While we're talking spindles, don't forget to look at the original geometry correcting AFX spindle that Speedtech manufactures. It's 2" taller, has about a 1" ride height drop, has relocated steering arm mounts for better Ackermann and less bumpsteer, are lighter forged aluminum, use C7 heavy duty sealed bearings that won't blow seals or need maintenance servicing, will better handle the abuse of track days and the load of wider tires and will outlast those factory small muscle car bearings, the spindles have integrated C-5 Corvette brake brackets so you can bolt right on anything from a C-5 factory dual piston caliper up to any aftermarket 6 piston kit. To run bigger brakes on many of the steel spindles you have to buy new brake caliper brackets and have your factory disc brake rotors machined down to hubs so you can use the 13" or 14" slip on larger rotors. After adding up all the features and benefits many would say the extra cost for the ATS spindles is worth the value it in the long run. If that sounds good check 'em out here- Clickey for the ATS AFX spindle web page!
(http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm?ptype=product&product_id=11&category_id=-1&mode=prod)

phaf
08-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Rod,

I have begun working on a basically stock 72 A-body and I know the stock front end geometry on these are, in a word, horrible. I would like to improve the cornering feel of the car a bit even though this one will see hardly any track time. I am calling it a mild build as opposed to something radical. If I understood your earlier post you were testing the spindles (post #5). I am upgrading the bushings through the front end, the sway bars front and rear, going to a slightly stiffer spring front and rear, etc. I was considering using the tall ball joints to help with the front end geometry but have never been quite happy with that solution. Do you have any thoughts on these spindles as part of a mild build?

Thanks,

USAZR1
08-05-2017, 03:09 PM
The Speedway and Southside Machine spindles look identical. If so, would either be a good unit for an A-body that might never see a race track?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-Comp...ars,80737.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEGATIVE-ROL...dXC17u&vxp=mtr

USAZR1
08-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Buehler?

Interceptor5588
08-10-2017, 06:13 AM
While we're talking spindles, don't forget to look at the original geometry correcting AFX spindle that Speedtech manufactures. It's 2" taller, has about a 1" ride height drop, has relocated steering arm mounts for better Ackermann and less bumpsteer, are lighter forged aluminum, use C7 heavy duty sealed bearings that won't blow seals or need maintenance servicing, will better handle the abuse of track days and the load of wider tires and will outlast those factory small muscle car bearings, the spindles have integrated C-5 Corvette brake brackets so you can bolt right on anything from a C-5 factory dual piston caliper up to any aftermarket 6 piston kit. To run bigger brakes on many of the steel spindles you have to buy new brake caliper brackets and have your factory disc brake rotors machined down to hubs so you can use the 13" or 14" slip on larger rotors. After adding up all the features and benefits many would say the extra cost for the ATS spindles is worth the value it in the long run. If that sounds good check 'em out here- Clickey for the ATS AFX spindle web page!
(http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm?ptype=product&product_id=11&category_id=-1&mode=prod)

So It appears that the AFX spindle would be the best on a true Pro-Touring build, while the other tall spindles are better suited to a Restomod. Is this about right, Ben?

Ben@SpeedTech
08-10-2017, 06:37 AM
Well, you might say the AFX spindles are good for any build. ;) lol!

As with any build to be fair you have to consider your wants and needs. Is the AFX the ultimate best solution in using a spindle to correct geometry and get the car set up right? We think so. If I were a person looking only for the pro touring look and drive a little on the serene side, the AFX would be overkill and I might never take advantage of it's true potential. You mentioned correcting geometry without a $2000 price tag, so based on that the AFX will be at the top of the list of fitting what you're after and has several added bonus features and benefits all other spindles do not have. Hope that puts it in perspective a little better.

If you have any questions about them feel free to give us a call, 435-628-4300 we'll be straight up and open about whether they, or any of our products fits what you're after. We won't pressure you to buy, just lend insight to help you make your decision. Good luck!

USAZR1
08-10-2017, 08:36 AM
Ben, I would buy the AFX spindles in a heartbeat but by the time I purchased the needed steering arms, tubular control arms, C6 brakes, and coilovers, the total would probably be pushing $5K or more. Unfortunately, my budget just won't allow it, right now. I haven't given up on the idea,though.

CSG
08-10-2017, 08:52 AM
Is there any hard data available that shows camber gain and bumpsteer numbers with the AFX spindle? My case is a 69 Camaro and would like to compare the spindle to the Tru Turn setup.

USAZR1
08-31-2017, 08:57 AM

Rod, can you give us an update on the S-M tall spindles? I'm trying to decide between them and Ridetech.

killer69
08-31-2017, 10:39 AM
Is there any hard data available that shows camber gain and bumpsteer numbers with the AFX spindle? My case is a 69 Camaro and would like to compare the spindle to the Tru Turn setup.

if you can provide some variables then we could do some new testing, the info i have is old and not very understandable (form back in the day)
i would need to know what ride height you want to run.
what caster and camber settings you want to use.
what steering arms
what static toe setting do you want to use? toe in or toe out?
stock sub frame?
whose control arms?

all of these play a roll in the outcome. there really is no one fix. i can set it up and make the numbers say just about anything you want.
especially bump steer. ride height caster and camber all affect bump steer. an then what number are you looking for? would you like to to bump in or out? how much?

CSG
08-31-2017, 10:44 AM
6 deg caster
-.4 deg camber
open on steering arm
Toe-in 1/8"
stock sub frame
I would love 0 bump but prefer bump out over in
stock geometry arms

killer69
09-01-2017, 11:10 AM
6 deg caster
-.4 deg camber
open on steering arm
Toe-in 1/8"
stock sub frame
I would love 0 bump but prefer bump out over in
stock geometry arms

i will need to know the length of the steering arm that you are using as well as a ride height location say the centerline of the lower control arm
bolt. if you are wanting zero bump you will need a bump steer kit of some sort and a good bump steer gauge, as well as a weekend of measuring and BEER!! also the wheels you are using could become the limiting factor on the stet up ?? but you wont really know till you get there.

CSG
09-01-2017, 05:23 PM
I'll get that info. I do have a bump steer guage setup already and have done the setups on my road race car so I am familiar with setting them up.

Thanks,
Scott

Rod
09-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Rod, do you know if these spindles have the steering arm mounting points moved for bumpsteer correction?

the steering arm is in the stock location

Rod
09-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Rod, can you give us an update on the S-M tall spindles? I'm trying to decide between them and Ridetech.

What car? and what else are you using with the spindle, (Steering arm, control arms, tie rods?)

USAZR1
09-01-2017, 09:31 PM
What car? and what else are you using with the spindle, (Steering arm, control arms, tie rods?)

1970 A-body. A-arms? I was considering UMI adjustables or something similar but open to suggestions. Steering arms? Stock at the moment but UMI will be introducing new steering arms in a couple of months. Tie rods? What would you suggest? Springs are UMI 2" drop. Shocks? Looking at Ridetech units.
Car will see 98% street use but might try an autocross at a Goodguys event.