PDA

View Full Version : Options to stiffen chassis 69 Firebird?

Nativefx
07-19-2017, 09:36 AM
*Posted on Lat-G but figured I might get some additional advise here as well.

I've been thinking about my project I've been working on and what I'd like to use it for. It will be mainly a street car, but I am hoping to take it out on some big road tracks a few times a year.

I've already decided and purchased the Ridetech Air Ride setup and a Thompson Motorsports built forged LS3 (roughly 550hp) with T-56 magnum which have already been installed in my stock subframe. Using a Baer full floater rear end with a 9" Moser housing and Strange 3rd member True-track and 3.89 gears. We are currently working on the mockup before finishing the replacement of quarter panels, roof, and tail panel which are just tacked in place. Everything was sand blasted and smaller repairs done, while also smoothing entire fire wall. This is just some back ground of what we're doing.

My question is, what are some of my options to help stiffen the chassis?
Because I finally decided Air Ride was a must and not knowing of any aftermarket options that was designed to use Shockwaves at the time, I decided to use my stock subframe and already had it modified, sandblasted & powdercoated. I already have Hotchkis subframe connectors, which once finished will be welding together rather than just bolted. I'm not sure at this point that I want to install a full cage as the rear seating is already limited, and I'd like to be able to get the kids in the back for short periods of time. I've been learning as I go along, and this is something I hope I can get some advise from more experienced builders or people what came into this same dilemma as they were having their cars built? I think even on the street, with this drivetrain, a stiffer chassis would make for a much nicer setup. Thanks for any help!

PS - I was hoping to post some pictures of where my car is currently in the build, but Photobucket now wants $400/year to 'host' images on the site. Any other options I can use?

dirty rick
07-19-2017, 10:03 AM
I use postimg.org

I don't think you can realistically run it on a proper road course without a full cage.

Even drag racing at 11.49 sec 1/4 mile the rules change (your car sounds like it would be capable of getting close to 11's maybe faster).

Besides the safety factor a proper cage dramatically increases the torsional rigidity of your chassis and nullifies some possibly bad handling characteristics.

Who wants to stick it in half way?

csouth
07-19-2017, 12:32 PM
*Posted on Lat-G but figured I might get some additional advise here as well.

I've been thinking about my project I've been working on and what I'd like to use it for. It will be mainly a street car, but I am hoping to take it out on some big road tracks a few times a year.

I've already decided and purchased the Ridetech Air Ride setup and a Thompson Motorsports built forged LS3 (roughly 550hp) with T-56 magnum which have already been installed in my stock subframe. Using a Baer full floater rear end with a 9" Moser housing and Strange 3rd member True-track and 3.89 gears. We are currently working on the mockup before finishing the replacement of quarter panels, roof, and tail panel which are just tacked in place. Everything was sand blasted and smaller repairs done, while also smoothing entire fire wall. This is just some back ground of what we're doing.

My question is, what are some of my options to help stiffen the chassis?
Because I finally decided Air Ride was a must and not knowing of any aftermarket options that was designed to use Shockwaves at the time, I decided to use my stock subframe and already had it modified, sandblasted & powdercoated. I already have Hotchkis subframe connectors, which once finished will be welding together rather than just bolted. I'm not sure at this point that I want to install a full cage as the rear seating is already limited, and I'd like to be able to get the kids in the back for short periods of time. I've been learning as I go along, and this is something I hope I can get some advise from more experienced builders or people what came into this same dilemma as they were having their cars built? I think even on the street, with this drivetrain, a stiffer chassis would make for a much nicer setup. Thanks for any help!

PS - I was hoping to post some pictures of where my car is currently in the build, but Photobucket now wants $400/year to 'host' images on the site. Any other options I can use?

Besides the welding in of the SFC and a cage as mentioned above, I don't imagin you can do much more.

BTW, You can post pictures directly to the site using the advanced reply feature.

Nativefx
07-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Picture of where we are at currently. We haven't started the metal work which will have a number of slick touches. The dash will be reconstructed to provide space for all things I want to mount.

sub frame with level sensors installed. Hydratech Hydroboost and Baer Remaster

LS3 with Wegner Diamond Cut front drive. Don't worry, the ducting is only to help us figure out spacing for mounting other items.

Firebird front end which will also get some work done later on. Still mulling some ideas.......

csouth
07-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Looks like a nice project.....