PDA

View Full Version : Steering Box in First Gen

Nitrous
07-11-2017, 03:30 PM
I have a 69 Camaro with an LS1 and was running a 3rd gen Camaro steering box. It had about 2 inches of slop back and forth that I was pretty sure the steering box. I took my car to a show to replace the lower control arms and tie rods so had them take a look at the box while they were in there. They took it out and said the steering box was shot. They put in a new box that they said was like or is a 3rd gen camaro iroc box. Put it all together and now it is super difficult to turn in a parking lot. The car does have power steering.

Any ideas what could be wrong or what steering box I should change it to? I'm not wanting it to sit in their shop for days while waiting on parts as I'm sure they don't want it just sitting around. I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas or came across this?

Thanks

Nitrous
07-13-2017, 11:46 AM
For anyone that searches and finds this later, the issue was that the steering box was shot but apparently so was the power steering pump. Put in a new pump and it solved the issue. It was made worse because the quick ratio box runs at a little higher pressure than the stock box so the power steering pump running low was more noticeable.

lsxrevival
07-14-2017, 04:06 PM
good info

OldTimer
07-14-2017, 07:59 PM
I recently swapped in a '96 JGC steering box in my '69 Camaro. So far so good, but I'm probably going to do the pressure mod to the box to up the pressure. Dave Pozzi covers it in his steering and suspension guidelines. The old pumps run about 900 psi and these newer saginaw boxes run better at 1200 psi. As a last resort you can buy a modded pump for under $200, but the mod is worth a try.

The difference between the original power steering box and the JGC box is Night and Day. Bought mine for $40 locally from a guy who was parting out his wrecked JGC. Just got it aligned bc I did a full frontbend makeover with Helix tubular uppers &!lowers, ProForged BJs (tall uppers), Wilwood, CPP, and ProForged tie rod ends/sleeves plus my Hotchkis 2" springs.