PDA

View Full Version : Strange hybrid axle, C-clip eliminator Kit for GM 10 bolt 8.5"

gator68428
05-11-2017, 07:18 AM
I've read about this topic and it seems that Strange makes a kit meant for side loads and not just for drag racing. I have a stock 8.5" 10 bolt (from 74 Ventura, junkyard find, upgraded stock posi unit of similar vintage) in my 68 Firebird that I track and AutoX. I'm invested in the rear end already and am perfectly content to keep it for the life of the car--including all future high horsepower plans (regardless of how optimistic or unrealistic they may be ;-) . I have the TCI rear torque arm and welded on brackets etc. so I'm going to keep the housing as is. May weld the axle tubes just for added insurance/potential future upgrades. I see no reason to buy a new carrier. Only thing I would consider adding, if I were going to hit the drag strip with more HP, would be a cover bearing cap brace.

Main reason is to tighten things up a little bit in the back and minimize pad knockback. Adding c-clip eliminators should reduce lateral axle movement in turns if I understand correctly. I have single piston floating calipers in the rear and I can hear the pads rubbing some under regular street driving under side loads out back--seems to have gotten worse after recent track days and autoXing. And back in 2014 after a good guys event i had a bearing/seal slip out due to vibrations over time from a slightly bent axle (replaced axle and bearing and haven't had that issue since).

I noticed Strange has a complete kit that is configurable and includes hardened axles built to withstand drag racing abuse etc. Thinking about going with the 30 spline axles and replacing the spider gears in the diff to accommodate 30 splines (Yukon sells a kit i think will work...). Spider gears are a little loose anyways and need to be tightened up.
Strange Part Number: P1011GOT
https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/gm-street-strip-oval-track-axles-elim-kit-1-2-stud-kit.html/

Looking at these spider gears. Assuming these would work with a GM diff?
Yukon Part#YPKGM8.5-P-30
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-16053

Also looking into replacing the clutches as well. Seems these would work.
Rons Machine Service GM 8.5" Factory S-Spring Type Posi Carbon Clutch Kit GM8.5CPK
http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/clutch-kits/gm-8-5-factory-s-spring-type-posi-carbon-clutch-kit/

Anyone have any experience with any of these parts or care to weigh in? Since I'm not planning on going full floater, I know a properly built 10 bolt will serve my needs well, but I want to get it done right.

Oh, and as far as the brake caliper brackets go, I do understand my options are more limited, but I plan to solve that problem after doing what's best for the housing.

dontlifttoshift
05-11-2017, 10:33 AM
I have yet to deal with a C clip eliminator that didn't leak.

It seems that there were C clips available in various thicknesses....?

If you are happy with the floating calipers, I would just tighten up the end play on the axles and call it good. For comparison, the amount of axle end play in 05-14 mustangs is ridiculous.....I thought I broke it.

gator68428
05-11-2017, 10:51 AM
From what i've read, most c-clip eliminators are for drag racing and not for street use. Those will leak.

Internet consensus is properly utilized setups don't leak. I'll try it and report back.

gator68428
05-11-2017, 11:37 AM
I have yet to deal with a C clip eliminator that didn't leak.

It seems that there were C clips available in various thicknesses....?

If you are happy with the floating calipers, I would just tighten up the end play on the axles and call it good. For comparison, the amount of axle end play in 05-14 mustangs is ridiculous.....I thought I broke it.

Do you happen to know for sure if these particular c-clip eliminators have leaked?
The part number for just these eliminators is A1100
https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/small-gm-elim-kit-for-strange-axles-at-1-7735-pr.html/

Here is a blurb from the listing:
Originally designed for Oval track racing to eliminate axle and bearing failure
This allows for an axle & bearing combination not possible with any other housing end
Providing Drag Race axle torsional strength, while capable of handling heavy side loads

This is the ultimate package for multiple use vehicles
Street / Strip / Oval track"

dontlifttoshift
05-11-2017, 01:18 PM
No. I cannot say specifically if that one leaks, I have just never had any luck with any that have dealt with....all of those being of unknown origin. I typically just go to 9" style ends or to a floater if it is something I am building.

The ID on the bearing is about .200 larger than the standard tapered bearing used in most 9" rear ends. So that's good. It will certainly be strong enough.

Skip Fix
05-11-2017, 02:31 PM
I have an old one sitting on the shelf. They use a taper bearing and two seals. A pressed in sleeve to use the taper bearing with a smaller stock replacement axle. I wondered if you use the ends and a "regular" larger axle for the taper bearing it would work and give a stronger axle. I have not measured it but looks like the 3.150" taper bearing.

krom
05-18-2017, 05:07 PM
olds had a factory 8.5" 10 bolt rear that didn't use c-clips. My cutlass has one

DroptopJ
06-13-2017, 05:39 AM
I also have a 8.5" 10 bolt in my 68 firebird, does anybody know who makes the thicker c-clips?