PDA

View Full Version : Steering issues - lee box, guldstrand mod - help

67rstbkt
05-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Hi all, I finally got my car on the road after 8 years. I drove it up the street today and the steering feels way too tight, kind of like a manual box.

I have a lee quick ratio box, stock rebuilt pump, and did the guldstrand mod. I have not yet had the car aligned. Does anyone know how tight this setup should be? Advice on what to look at? I like a firm wheel, but this is ridiculous.

Couple of notes:
I used stock 67 replacement lines, no adaptors to match the box as it looks like the fittings matched - did lee insert the line adapters?

power steering fluid - red line synthetic

box to column joint - u joint, eliminated rag joint

the car - 67 firebird, 461 motor, lowering springs

any help greatly appreciated

NOT A TA
05-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Did you bleed the system? Did you change alignment by replacing steering components? Was it aligned after spring install? Install really wide tires? Have proper tire inflation? Install really small steering wheel?

67rstbkt
05-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the reply;
Yes, all new parts - new build
Yes, wider tires - 245/35/18
No, not aligned yet
It is a smaller wheel - grant, can't recall the actual size right now
I forgot to check tire pressure last night, will do today

Twentyover
05-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Any bind in the steering shaft?

67rstbkt
05-08-2017, 08:34 AM
No binding - if I jack up the front to get the wheels off the ground it feels ok

Skip Fix
05-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Often you need to tweak the flow valve in the pump esp with wider tires over the stock pump setting. Orifice size and or shims under the pressure valve-all under the big 1" nut fitting for the hose.

pitts64
05-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Turn it fast side to side while driving, if you feel it hang up like the pump stopped you need more pressure.. In the mean time open the flow valve up and take all the washers off to get max flow.. If it's pressure you'll need to open the flow control valve up to 9/64"..

I have the new Lee 14:1 (30 lb valve) and it's more like a manual rack but very fast, I love it! It takes some time getting used to it.. I hated that over assisted feel with all that bump steer... I still think my car is going to turn while going thru pot holes but it just stays straight.. No more pot hole steer!!

My 69 El Camino also has the SC&C Stage 3 with Spohn Del Sphere rear control arms.. Love everything about this set up..

67rstbkt
05-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll check these off my list and see where I stand. I may also just get a pump from lee since they are back in business

67rstbkt
05-08-2017, 03:43 PM
I checked the tire pressure and it was slightly low at 28 psi,so I filled to 34 and it is much better at about 1500-2000 rpm, but gets really tight at about 1000, so I'm thinking it is pump pressure. Thoughts?

pitts64
05-09-2017, 03:55 AM
Yes, sounds like pump pressure or flow.. Talk to Allen at Lee, maybe he can send you a different flow control valve or he can tell you what to drill yours out to..

By the way, you'll want to have 5+ degrees of positive caster..

I use the max rated pressure printed on the side of the tire..

I thought the something was wrong too when I first installed my Lee box 14:1 but as I gave it more pressure/flow and tuned my suspension around it, I liked it more and more.. I wouldn't want anything else now.. I'm even going to try a slight toe out..

Check the Pozzi site out for straight forward, no BS info.. There is a section on drilling out the flow control valve..
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm

67rstbkt
05-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Yes, sounds like pump pressure or flow.. Talk to Allen at Lee, maybe he can send you a different flow control valve or he can tell you what to drill yours out to..

By the way, you'll want to have 5+ degrees of positive caster..

I use the max rated pressure printed on the side of the tire..

I thought the something was wrong too when I first installed my Lee box 14:1 but as I gave it more pressure/flow and tuned my suspension around it, I liked it more and more.. I wouldn't want anything else now.. I'm even going to try a slight toe out..

Check the Pozzi site out for straight forward, no BS info.. There is a section on drilling out the flow control valve..
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_steering.htm

thanks for the info, I recall looking at a full set of recommended alignment specs somewhere. Do you happen to know what the full specs are on yours? Or have you run across what I'm thinking of?

nicks67camaro
05-10-2017, 05:24 AM
Or check out KRC and buy a pump that can change the flow rates if needed. I ran this with my lee box and hydroboost and never had a issue.

http://www.krcpower.com/

MonzaRacer
05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Off ground feeling ok then you need more pressure/flow. Also get it aligned.

pitts64
05-11-2017, 03:36 AM
Check out the Pozzi site, they have alignment specs...

67rstbkt
05-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Check out the Pozzi site, they have alignment specs...

I have been reading up over there, thanks

67rstbkt
05-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Off ground feeling ok then you need more pressure/flow. Also get it aligned.

Yes, off ground feels good ok. I took the pump apart again and replaced the spring with the other one I had (slightly longer)
I also removed the single shim on the valve. Tire pressure is at 38 psi. The steering is tight, but feels much better. I'm going to get it aligned and try it again. I haven't been able to drive it more than to the corner and back as it's not registered yet. I'm hoping to get that sorted this week.
Thanks for all the assistance so far.

67rstbkt
05-31-2017, 06:50 PM
Went and got the alignment today and used the global west specs. My caster was around 9 positive when I drove in. It seems that with the guldstrand mod and global west arms, he was able to get the caster to 6.5-6.9 (dr/pass) and no less
It is feeling better now - still a bit tight, but much improved. My steering wheel is 13.5 inch, I'm thinking I should try a 14. Thoughts?

pitts64
06-03-2017, 04:44 AM
Put a few thousand miles on it and let the tires burnish into the new alignment... If you have 12:1 you may want to go to a 14" or 15" wheel.. I have there 14:1 and it is perfect with a 13" wheel..

67rstbkt
06-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Put a few thousand miles on it and let the tires burnish into the new alignment... If you have 12:1 you may want to go to a 14" or 15" wheel.. I have there 14:1 and it is perfect with a 13" wheel..

That sounds like a good plan, lol