PDA

View Full Version : Solid Subframe Bushings 70 Nova

Steel409
05-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Hello!

It's finally time to install the Global West solid subframe bushings on my 70 Nova SS. While the GW instructions that came with them make it sound like an easy installation, did anyone else run into any body panel and/or steering column binding? I've found some threads on F-bodys that recommended separating rag joints and firewall-to-column-support plates...? Also, I got the kit compatible with Hotchkis subframe connectors as I'll be doing those at the same time.

I don't think the job will be as easy as the GW instructions, but want to make sure I'm not damaging any other components in the process.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!!!

Mike71nova
05-03-2017, 09:33 AM
I believe the x bodies need a spacer that the f bodies do not have. I have seen it talked about on the nova forums.

Typhoon1015
05-03-2017, 10:14 AM
I did solid bushings on a 1st gen camaro last year, and left everything connected without any issues. Just needed proper jack stands and jack to pivot the subframe away from the body to add the bushings.

Steel409
05-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Justin, thanks... Good to know.

Any tips? You mentioned "proper jack stands" and "jack to pivot"... Where did you jack to help move the subframe away?

Kenova
05-04-2017, 06:28 PM
The Novas have a half inch spacer on top of the bushings at the cowl.
Support the body with jack stands. The more the better. Loosen your steering column at the dash and the firewall plate.
Loosen the bushings on one side only then replace one at a time. After the three on one side are replaced torque them to spec and repeat on the other side.
Tighten your steering column and you're done.

Ken

Steel409
05-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Ken, you make it sound so easy! :-)

Are you recommending supporting the body with jackstands, and then lowering the subframe away from the body with a floorjack, replacing the bushings, and then raising the subframe back into position?

I hadn't necessarily thought about doing it that way...

Kenova
05-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Ken, you make it sound so easy! :-)

Are you recommending supporting the body with jackstands, and then lowering the subframe away from the body with a floorjack, replacing the bushings, and then raising the subframe back into position?

Yes, support the body only with jack stands (I used six of them).
You won't need a jack to lower the subframe, just loosen the bolts on one side but do not remove them. Remove and replace one bolt and bushing at a time, turning the bolt in far enough to support the frame as you repeat the process with the other two. When you have replaced all three torque them to spec and repeat the process on the other side.
I found the driver's side to be a little tighter for room but the other side was a breeze.

Ken