PDA

View Full Version : Splined sway bar question.

83rdracer
03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
I am mocking up the sway bar on my modified 4th gen camaro front suspension. I am using Keyser/Port City needle bearings and 1 1/4 49 spline straight steel arms that are 3/4" thick. My question is what is the best way to bend the arms? They will need a single bend of about 35* midway of the bar length. Total length of finished arm will be roughly 15" long and have 3 mounting hole provisions for tuning.

Also, these arms are HEAVY at 9lbs apiece. Can aluminum arms be used on a 3300lb PT car safely?

I want to thank Ron and all other commentators on this forum for sharing their wisdom and ideas. I have and will continue to develop a much deeper understanding of suspension dynamics from reading many of these posts.

Dave

TheJDMan
03-20-2017, 02:15 PM
How tight a radius does the bend need to be?

dontlifttoshift
03-20-2017, 02:30 PM
A 20 ton press will do it if you keep the radius large enough. If you need a real tight bend you will need a bigger press. A piece of 2" round stock pressing between two more pieces of round stock about 4" apart (6" center to center) will get it done.

raustinss
03-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Recommended die opening size is 8x material thickness until you get to half inch then it jumps up to 10x material thickness ... 3/4" mild steel is well beyond large enough for what you're doing I'm willing to bet it could be done with 1/2 or 5/8" which would save some weight and make it easier to bend .
Be aware of what you are trying to do it your bending it at home, might be best to take them to a local shop and have someone fire them thru the brake . Also be aware you will lose length do to the bends , 35 degrees really won't change it too much but it will somewhat . As for trying it at home on a 20 ton press .....thats your call ...play safe

Schwartz Performance
03-20-2017, 03:36 PM
A torch, a vise, and a big adjustable wrench.

We use 49 spline aluminum arms on our chassis, no problems. We also use the steel ones you're using depending on application.

83rdracer
03-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Thanks for all the quick responses. I have all the required tools that Schwartz Perf. Recommended but if aluminum arms will work I would rather go that route. I would imagine those would be to be bent in a press at a local machine shop.

83rdracer
04-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Ok so sent the steel arm back and ordered an aluminum one from Speedwsy. Question again is what is best way to bend it. Actual angle is 55* with a radius of about 2 1/2". I am guessing a torch and vice won't work.