PDA

View Full Version : LS Drive Comparison

Brian@RSRT
03-07-2017, 10:53 AM
I did a lot of research on drive systems when Pro Touring guys started coming to me with steering problems. Some of the problems were rack related, some were pump related & some were drive system related. In working out what I wanted to use for my Track-Warrior cars, I needed an LS Drive System with a quality racing power steering pump (with optimum volume & pressure capacity), high belt wrap on the P/S pump, Edelbrock water pump, powerful alternator ... and components ... including the idler bearings ... that could withstand 7000-8000 rpm engine speeds without problems.

The Wegner is a very good unit & there are a lot of similarities between the Wegner & Drive Junky LS Drive Systems. I am clear on the differences & can share that with everyone, as the Wegner unit was one I strongly considered. There were a couple things I wanted to change/improve ... and Wegner was very accommodating to do so. But the price jumped to well over $3000 with the upgrades I was after.

Here are the things the Wegner & Drive Junky systems have the same:
* ATI Super Dampers (Great unit)
* Powermaster 170 amp alternator (with options to upgrade to higher amp units)
* Alternator style utilizes internal fan for better cooling than external fans
* Sanden SD7 AC compressors
* High belt wrap on the Power Steering Pump (with Extra Idler Pulley)
* All CNC contruction with quality aluminum in the USA (Can't say that about some other brands)
* Various finishes available

Here are some things Wegner & Drive Junky systems do differently:
Power Steering Pump:
* Mavel OEM 1100 psi/2.2 GPM volume from Wegner
* Jones Blueprinted Racing Pump 1600 psi/3.8 GPM volume from Drive Junky

Attached P/S Reservoir:
* Plastic tank from Wegner
* Tig Welded aluminum tank with internal baffling to reduce foaming from Drive Junky

Idler bearings:
* Heavy duty single bearings from Wegner
* Ultra High RPM, heavy duty Dual bearings from Drive Junky

Water pump:
* OEM pump from Wegner
* More expensive Edelbrock pump with better bearings & seals from Drive Junky

Price:
* $2500 Wegner
* $2650 Drive Junky

So, in conclusion, they are both good units. But I have had to replace/upgrade the P/S pumps for my autocross clients that were already running the Wegner drive, as they were having steering issues. Once we put the Jones Racing Pump (1600 PSI/3.8GPM) the issues with the pump go away. The Drive Junky system costs $150 more ... which is about the difference in price between the GM & Edelbrock water pumps. So the Jones Racing P/S Pump, TIG'd Aluminum Reservoir & Dual High RPM idler bearings are free upgrades. That is why we use & sell the Drive Junky version. It met all my criteria for performance & durability and was a good value.