PDA

View Full Version : Lower Control Arm Options

Nitrous
02-18-2017, 04:14 PM
I have a 69 Camaro with Speed Tech Performance Tubular Upper Control Arms, QA1 Coil-Over Shocks, and factory lower control arms. These was all done on the car before I got it. I was told by a mechanic that was working on it that the lower control arm was drilled for the coilovers and they are starting to crack so I should think about replacing them.

So i was thinking about replacing them with tublar lower control arms. I was thinking about going with DSE lower control arms. Any opinions on them? Do they ever have sales or is the price generally set?

The car is mostly just used as a street car. Handling is nice but if I ever took it to the track it would be for 1/4 mile racing.

Looking for any advice or comments.

csouth
02-18-2017, 07:19 PM
If it were me, I would match them with the SpeedTech lowers. I can see why you would mismatch brands in that situation?

Nitrous
02-18-2017, 09:15 PM
If it were me, I would match them with the SpeedTech lowers. I can see why you would mismatch brands in that situation?

I notice the badge and design is slightly different than what they currently offer. That is what sort of pushed me to see other options. DSE generally makes some really high quality products and I'm not overly familiar with Speedtech. DSE talks about the lower control arms correcting geometry. I wasn't sure if the Speedtech does the same or if anyone here has experience with them.

Maybe I'll contact them and see if they have some input into the differences.

H20cooled
02-18-2017, 09:55 PM
I would call Speedtech, I have spoken with them before and they seem very knowledgeable .

Rod
02-18-2017, 10:18 PM
dont mix brands unless you know the the Castor/Balljoint locations +/- relation from both brands and they are compatible

CliffsBlueCamaro
02-19-2017, 06:43 AM
QA1 makes lower control arms specifically for those coil overs, and they are pretty budget friendly too.

I'd give them a call and see what they can tell you about mixing their arms with others.

Just a thought - you could get a new matched set of uppers and lowers, and sell your current uppers to recoup some of the cost.

csouth
02-20-2017, 08:05 AM
I notice the badge and design is slightly different than what they currently offer. That is what sort of pushed me to see other options. DSE generally makes some really high quality products and I'm not overly familiar with Speedtech. DSE talks about the lower control arms correcting geometry. I wasn't sure if the Speedtech does the same or if anyone here has experience with them.

Maybe I'll contact them and see if they have some input into the differences.

Yeah, but you're going in another direction with another brand. Speedtech knows the spec's on those arms you have and any differences in how they would interact with their current offering. I can say SPeedtech participates here and if your thread would have had their name in the title, there would have probably been feedback here.