PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen F-Body body mounts. . .stock vs. 1/2 height???

atomicjoe23
02-09-2017, 03:18 PM
I'm getting ready to order new body mounts for my 1967 Firebird (prepping to start using it for auto-X) and I'm wondering what is the advantage of using the 1/2 height DSE solid mounts vs. the stock height DSE solid mounts?Is there an actual handling difference between the two (theoretically lowering the roll height/CoG by 1/2")?Or is this just a visual/aesthetic preference? If so, do the 1/2 height mounts make much of a visual difference?Lastly, will using 1/2 height mounts result in more work for me down the road? I.e., all the sudden this, that, and the other start to not fit anymore and I have to start custom fitting everything?I don't mind the work, but I'm not at that stage of a build yet. . .right now I'm just doing basic bolt-on upgrades to improve the suspension, steering, and braking systems so that I can get out and drive instead of spending all my time trying to fit stuff onto the car. . .

dhutton
02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Half height mounts will mess up the stock steering column/rag joint connection. I am not 100% certain but I am going to guess the same for stock clutch linkage.

Don

atomicjoe23
02-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Half height mounts will mess up the stock steering column/rag joint connection.Hmmm, so I would have to do some custom work to the steering linkage then. . .doesn't sound like something I want to tackle at this very moment. Unless it was as simple as there is enough room to loosen set screws in a couple places and let the steering shaft slide in/out to accommodate the change, but I'm guessing that is doubtful. . .a 1/2" would be quite a bit of adjustment for stock steering shaft components.
I am not 100% certain but I am going to guess the same for stock clutch linkage.DonAuto (boo) right now so that wouldn't be a problem at the moment, but would down the line since I plan on swapping in a T56 sometime in the future.

77thor
02-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Don't mess around and use shorter mounts... you're just asking for trouble.
Including some of those mentioned above... also issues with the fan hitting the shroud.

dhutton
02-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, so I would have to do some custom work to the steering linkage then. . .doesn't sound like something I want to tackle at this very moment. Unless it was as simple as there is enough room to loosen set screws in a couple places and let the steering shaft slide in/out to accommodate the change, but I'm guessing that is doubtful. . .a 1/2" would be quite a bit of adjustment for stock steering shaft components.Auto (boo) right now so that wouldn't be a problem at the moment, but would down the line since I plan on swapping in a T56 sometime in the future.

T56 uses a hydraulic clutch so no issue there.

Don

icemanrd19
02-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Half height mounts are only there to help you if you don't have enough adjustment on the subframe to lower it lower. Tunnel clearance, steering column shaft, headers, crossmember, are just a few issues that you will run into

atomicjoe23
02-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!

GREATLY appreciated and you probably just saved me a TON of headaches and frustration!!!

ROBS6T8
02-11-2017, 08:22 AM
I'll reiterate what was said above... do not use them!! Ask me how I know.

Skip Fix
02-11-2017, 07:45 PM
Also loose carb to hood clearance as it drops the body down on the motor. Real important for us with Shaker hoods or even early Firebirds with Ram Air pans. Might have fan to shroud issues also if the core support gets dropped as most do also. I used them on my TA and went back to full thickness.

Joe_Rocket
02-16-2017, 01:56 PM
I've had my 69 Camaro about 27 years now and ran the old Herb Adams solid mounts for quite a long time. (over 7000 miles with them) These were actually composed of what looked like half height mounts, but the rear mounts were slightly taller and thus angled the front of the subframe upwards. It was enough of an angle that the radiator core support sat directly on the subframe. They claimed about an inch drop at the wheels with this kit. I never had any issues with steering connection alignment at the rag joint, nor any difficulty aligning fenders. The header collector on one side had to be heated and bent down because the flange hit the underside of the pan. Suspension was mostly stock... H-O springs and the Guldstrand mod. The only headache I can remember aside from the headers was trying to replace the oil pan gaskets without pulling the motor. There's very little room to lift the motor before it contacts the trans tunnel. I have the car completely torn down now and will be changing the the subframe mounts because I'm can't fit a T56 with the shorter mounts.