PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ran a rack and pinion with riderech suspension????

duvall408w
02-08-2017, 03:01 PM
I have a 1970 nova with ridetech upper,lower control arms,spindles.I want to put on rack and pinion. Has any one done this if so wats ur set up. Thanks

dhutton
02-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Why do you want to run a rack and pinion? Most add-on racks are worse than stock. You would be better off with an upgraded 600 steering box.

Don

Schwartz Performance
02-08-2017, 07:54 PM
We did it on a 69 Camaro, same setup.
Don't do it. Get a good gearbox and truturn.

TheJDMan
02-08-2017, 08:04 PM
If you really want R&P steering you need to look at an aftermarket subframe from one of our site sponsors which are specifically designed from scratch to use it.

Josh@Ridetech
02-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Why do you want to run a rack and pinion? Most add-on racks are worse than stock. You would be better off with an upgraded 600 steering box.

Don

We did it on a 69 Camaro, same setup.
Don't do it. Get a good gearbox and truturn.

Agree with both of these guys. The rack conversions often cause issues with clearance and geometry making the car drive worse than it did prior to the swap.

With the TruTurn, the geometry is much better, allows you to run up to a 275 tire, and virtually eliminates bumpsteer. We use Turn One steering boxes and they have a much tighter feel with their "rack and pinion" valving. All of these parts are a bolt on setup that won't need you to do any sort of "conversion".

http://www.ridetech.com/store/tru-turn-complete-package-67-69-gm-f-body.html

http://www.ridetech.com/store/turn-one-12.7-1-600-series-steering-box.html

camaro69boy
02-10-2017, 02:55 PM
I have TruTurn with 275's on my '69 Camaro.

duvall408w
02-11-2017, 03:13 PM
I have tru turn,musle bar and lee's box already. I have 18x9 265 35 18 in front.problem is i have a 427lsx with twin 7275 precision turbos and the box is taken up prime real estate.lol mite just sale it all and go with new sub frame with r@p already.I really like my ridetech set up but was looking at gaining sum room..

MonzaRacer
02-11-2017, 05:34 PM
Lee power steering is back in business, Ridetech also has performed boxes. Just build with proper parts and it will steer so much better. The rack ideas SUCK. Aligned two with them and they never handled or steered right in owners opinion.

duvall408w
02-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Lee power steering is back in business, Ridetech also has performed boxes. Just build with proper parts and it will steer so much better. The rack ideas SUCK. Aligned two with them and they never handled or steered right in owners opinion. I dont have a issue with the steering in my car. My car has been up and running for a long time. I dont need another steering box. My lee's box works great and so does all the ridetech stuff no complaints. Looking to pick up room in engine bay for turbo headers and exhaust.do r@p suck all together or just with the set up i have? Most of the subframes from sponser on here include R@p steering. Prolly would be easier to sale my ridetech front setup and buy new sub frame to gain room. Thanks

Schwartz Performance
02-12-2017, 09:36 PM
Stock subframe/retrofit rack kits are what we are referring to, not aftermarket subs with racks.

MonzaRacer
02-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Wow lots of changes to add turbos, so if you want turbos why not simply take time to design a better manifold to allow you to keep the steering box. Seen many a twin turbos with steering box. You may be looking at this wrong. IF the research I did is any indication its at least $5000 to swap front subframe and rest of the parts required.
I guarantee you I have less real estate in my Monza and I believe I can use those generic forward mount turbo headers from ebay on my car. I have been planning for few years now, first with Holset turbos now I intend to use ebay GT2871R.

duvall408w
02-14-2017, 02:34 PM
On my last turbo set up manifolds with single s484 the manifold was touching barley. I ground sum off of box to get it to fit.I have the flowtech holley 1 3\4 headers i was going to fit in there with a 3 inch exhaust going out of fender both sides . Im sure i can stuff everything in there .LIke u said it will be cheaper to cram it in there them to pick up a new sub frame.

Nativefx
02-17-2017, 02:45 AM
For those of you with the Ridetech TruTurn setup, do you lose any of your steering radius? I have the setup installed on my 69 Firebird and the front wheels do not touch the subframe at full lock, but my body guy seems to think I may not have great steering radius and it may be less than stock. Any imput would be great.

ra11ysport
02-19-2017, 04:40 PM
I dont have a issue with the steering in my car. My car has been up and running for a long time. I dont need another steering box. My lee's box works great and so does all the ridetech stuff no complaints. Looking to pick up room in engine bay for turbo headers and exhaust.do r@p suck all together or just with the set up i have? Most of the subframes from sponser on here include R@p steering. Prolly would be easier to sale my ridetech front setup and buy new sub frame to gain room. Thanks

lots of benefits to an aftermarket subframe, better tire clearance, R&P, better geometry ect.

duvall408w
02-19-2017, 04:44 PM
For those of you with the Ridetech TruTurn setup, do you lose any of your steering radius? I have the setup installed on my 69 Firebird and the front wheels do not touch the subframe at full lock, but my body guy seems to think I may not have great steering radius and it may be less than stock. Any imput would be great.

I dont notice any loss in mine.I believe there are steering hard stops u can adjust for turning radius? Its a bolt and screw on control arm.