PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech or chassisworks 4 link. Pros and cons ? 68 Camaro

s10pro
02-01-2017, 04:18 PM
I want to place my order, and would like hear what you guys have to say? I am doing dse mini tub car, it's a 68 camaro my buddy is going to be doing the welding so it's not s issue

s10pro
02-01-2017, 06:29 PM
Car is a driver I Dought I will ever try to compete with car. It may see the 1/4 mile a coupe times in it s life, maybe I go to a autox some day who knows

dhutton
02-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Ridetech coilovers are far superior in my opinion.

Don

Build-It-Break-It
02-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Ride tech

DippedInSauce
02-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Ridetech coilovers are far superior in my opinion.

Don
I strongly agree with Don. Chassiswokrs offers terrible aftersales support when it comes to their problematic shocks and the damage that results when they fail. You can reference my well documented issues with them in the "Feedback" section under "My Chassisworks experience". I have several friends who are running Rideteck coilovers and love them. I have heard nothing but positive feedback.

s10pro
02-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Had any one done any 1/4 Mile passes with the ridetech with a good 60ft

camrat68
02-03-2017, 09:30 AM
I've made MANY 1/4mi passes with my Chassisworks set-up with no problems. Some more than a thousand mile round trip from home. I've been driving with that in the car since '09 and front RideTech coil overs since '14 with no problems. Either would be a good choice but in hindsight I would've gone with the same company back-to-front.

Jim

TheJDMan
02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
I assume you are talking about the canted 4 link rear suspensions? If so, both are well engineered good quality suspensions. They actually share a common origin in the past so they are very closely related. The biggest difference between the two is in the shock package supplied with the respective kits. I have a Chassisworks G-Link and I struggled with ride height and shock bottoming issues with the supplied 5" stroke Vari-shocks for a couple of years. I finally gave up and dumped the Vari-shocks for a shorter custom built 4" travel AFCO shock pn 3240PT, my ride height and shock bottoming issues all went away while at the same time the ride quality improved with the new shocks. IMO, the 4 link is a toss up, both are good suspensions. The real difference is in the shocks and from that standpoint alone I would go with RideTech.

DippedInSauce
02-04-2017, 11:17 AM
I assume you are talking about the canted 4 link rear suspensions? If so, both are well engineered good quality suspensions. They actually share a common origin in the past so they are very closely related. The biggest difference between the two is in the shock package supplied with the respective kits. I have a Chassisworks G-Link and I struggled with ride height and shock bottoming issues with the supplied 5" stroke Vari-shocks for a couple of years. I finally gave up and dumped the Vari-shocks for a shorter custom built 4" travel AFCO shock pn 3240PT, my ride height and shock bottoming issues all went away while at the same time the ride quality improved with the new shocks. IMO, the 4 link is a toss up, both are good suspensions. The real difference is in the shocks and from that standpoint alone I would go with RideTech.

Hey Steve, didn't you ever contact Chassisworks regarding the ride hight and bottoming out issues? I'd be very curious as to what they attributed it to.

Rod
02-04-2017, 11:26 AM
in hindsight I would've gone with the same company back-to-front.

Jim

this is great advice......a shock is not just a shock....they have different compression and rebound curves that differ from company to company , and each has an idea that thinks makes theirs better or special , when you have differant shocks front and rear it can be VERY difficult to get a dialed in car and if no one else has the same setupit tough to get tuning advice

s10pro
02-05-2017, 09:41 AM
The car will be a driver with ny kids in the back seat will prob never see autox

Rod
02-05-2017, 03:47 PM
The car will be a driver with ny kids in the back seat will prob never see autox

???I don't understand that response?? tuning is still needed to make a good street ride, even more so

Bad94
02-05-2017, 05:25 PM
I have the RideTech 4 link and Im very happy with it. Ride quality come from shock and spring rate.

TheJDMan
02-05-2017, 06:45 PM
Hey Steve, didn't you ever contact Chassisworks regarding the ride hight and bottoming out issues? I'd be very curious as to what they attributed it to.

Yes, I did! I went back and forth with Carl at Chassisworks off and on for nearly a year and got a lot of dialogue but no real solution. Their engineers insisted that a 5" stroke shock was necessary for sufficient suspension travel and that the bottoming issue was because I was setting the ride height too low. Never mind the fact that there is more than adequate suspension travel with the shocks removed and cycling the rear end up and down. Chassiworks did come out with a lower shock mount extension that was for show applications only, so they did acknowledge on some level that there was a problem with the long shocks but refused to supply a shorter version. The shorter 4" stroke shock corrected all my bottoming issues and has never reached either full extension or full compression. Knowing what I know now, I would not hesitate ordering another G-link suspension but I would buy it without any shocks. I would then supply my own shocks based on the actual ride height and required shock length. Currently my shocks are 12" eye to eye at static ride height and my custom AFCO shocks measure 10" compressed to 14" extended which puts them exactly at mid stroke at ride height.

TheJDMan
02-05-2017, 06:56 PM
this is great advice......a shock is not just a shock....they have different compression and rebound curves that differ from company to company , and each has an idea that thinks makes theirs better or special , when you have differant shocks front and rear it can be VERY difficult to get a dialed in car and if no one else has the same setupit tough to get tuning advice

Rod is correct, this is one reason why I replaced my non-adjustable DSE shocks up front and my DA Vari-Shocks rear and went with a matched set of custom built AFCO PT valved shocks front and rear. There was an immediate and distinct improvement in both handling and ride quality. However, this is an expensive way to go since I ended up with 2 pairs of mis-matched shocks that are now just dust collectors. This is one more reason to buy from one vendor for both front and rear suspension.

DippedInSauce
02-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Yes, I did! I went back and forth with Carl at Chassisworks off and on for nearly a year and got a lot of dialogue but no real solution. Their engineers insisted that a 5" stroke shock was necessary for sufficient suspension travel and that the bottoming issue was because I was setting the ride height too low. Never mind the fact that there is more than adequate suspension travel with the shocks removed and cycling the rear end up and down. Chassiworks did come out with a lower shock mount extension that was for show applications only, so they did acknowledge on some level that there was a problem with the long shocks but refused to supply a shorter version. The shorter 4" stroke shock corrected all my bottoming issues and has never reached either full extension or full compression. Knowing what I know now, I would not hesitate ordering another G-link suspension but I would buy it without any shocks. I would then supply my own shocks based on the actual ride height and required shock length. Currently my shocks are 12" eye to eye at static ride height and my custom AFCO shocks measure 10" compressed to 14" extended which puts them exactly at mid stroke at ride height.

Wow Steve! that sounded all too familiar! I was also told by Carl, and Nick that my ride height was set tooo low. They accepted zero accountability for their shocks being incorrectly paired with my system. Nor when one of them failed. Unfortunately based on my experience I will never patronize Chassisworks again. So this afco 3240pt shock you now have solved the problem? The part comes up as a "drag racing" shock. There also seems to be two variations. One with a remote res and the other without. Did you purchase one off the shelf or was it tailored to your application? I'm looking to swap out my shocks asap. Thanks for your advise!

Rod
02-06-2017, 10:57 AM
I'm looking to swap out my shocks asap. what shocks do you have now?.......also in your signature...what is 24 pistons?

rickpaw
02-06-2017, 11:14 AM
what shocks do you have now?.......also in your signature...what is 24 pistons?

I would guess 6 pistons at each corner.

DippedInSauce
02-06-2017, 12:39 PM
what shocks do you have now?.......also in your signature...what is 24 pistons?

Regretfully I'm still running the faulty Chassisworks shocks. The more people I consult with the more I hear about how bad they truly are. I'm looking to replace them asap. I've narrowed it down to either the Afco 3240PTs that Steve is running or the JRI's. And Rickpaw is correct the 24 pistons refers to my brakes. They're overkill but hey you only live once.

icemanrd19
02-06-2017, 05:56 PM

While I have the dse quadralink I experienced the exact same thing. To get the look I wanted on my 67 we had to go about a inch lower resulting in the shock bottoming out. 69 has the tucked looked and doesn't experience this. I went with a 4.1 stoke shock and the difference in ride quality is night snd day. The cAR still has plenty of travel and doesn't bottom out at all now

icemanrd19
02-06-2017, 05:58 PM
You have a 68 so see my previous comments. The ridetech shock I'm running now is night and day different. To compare it imagine driving a lowered civic on springs vs stock c6 corvette. That's the difference it made

Zl1427
02-26-2017, 04:42 AM

With the limitless choices of Shocks out there. How did you come to decide on AFCO ?

Thanks.

rlodad
02-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Are you running a DSE speed kid on a modified subframe or a newer DSE complete subframe?

Zl1427
02-27-2017, 04:27 PM
Are you running a DSE speed kid on a modified subframe or a newer DSE complete subframe?

It's a complete Chris Alston's front end.

Rod
02-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Regretfully I'm still running the faulty Chassisworks shocks. The more people I consult with the more I hear about how bad they truly are. I'm looking to replace them asap. I've narrowed it down to either the Afco 3240PTs that Steve is running or the JRI's. And Rickpaw is correct the 24 pistons refers to my brakes. They're overkill but hey you only live once.

no such thing as overkill, I just put the Baer 6S with 14 inch rotors on all four corners on Suzy's 100 inch wheel base 2800 lb LS powered AMC wagon..

TheJDMan
03-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Wow Steve! that sounded all too familiar! I was also told by Carl, and Nick that my ride height was set tooo low. They accepted zero accountability for their shocks being incorrectly paired with my system. Nor when one of them failed. Unfortunately based on my experience I will never patronize Chassisworks again. So this afco 3240pt shock you now have solved the problem? The part comes up as a "drag racing" shock. There also seems to be two variations. One with a remote res and the other without. Did you purchase one off the shelf or was it tailored to your application? I'm looking to swap out my shocks asap. Thanks for your advise!

Yes the 3240 shock comes up in their catalog as a drag shock. However, if you call AFCO and talk to the tech they are quick to tell you they can provide Pro-Touring valving for this shock a 3240PT at no additional cost since they build these shocks to order anyway. I went with the 3240PT w/remote canister. I also had to specify a short rod end on the rear shocks and a 5/8"ID eye bearing on one end of the front shocks to fit my DSE LCA. Also, if you don't want the AFCO blue anodized shock body you can specify clear anodized, again, at no extra cost. Tip: Call AFCO and have them spec out your shocks then have them save the configuration in their computer under your name. Then call Matt at MCB and tell him who you spoke with at AFCO and that they have your configuration saved. Matt will give you a great price and they will be drop shipped to your door. As I recall, I placed my order with Matt on a Monday and my shocks were delivered by UPS Friday of that same week.

TheJDMan
03-01-2017, 07:04 PM
With the limitless choices of Shocks out there. How did you come to decide on AFCO ?

Thanks.

AFCO has been building racing shocks for more years than I care to remember. They are a BIG presence in oval racing and are popular in drag racing as well. They started to see the PT market a few years back and now offer a PT version of their 32 series shock. Since I am a longtime fan of their shocks from my dirt racing days, it was just a natural transition for me to order a set their PT valved shocks. AFCO lists stock catalog shocks but in reality every shock you order from them is custom configured for the customers specific application, all at no extra cost. Plus, they are reasonably priced for a premium quality custom built shock.

DippedInSauce
03-02-2017, 08:19 AM
no such thing as overkill, I just put the Baer 6S with 14 inch rotors on all four corners on Suzy's 100 inch wheel base 2800 lb LS powered AMC wagon..

You're right haha They definitely took some getting used to as my previous set up was a C5 PBR.

DippedInSauce
03-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Yes the 3240 shock comes up in their catalog as a drag shock. However, if you call AFCO and talk to the tech they are quick to tell you they can provide Pro-Touring valving for this shock a 3240PT at no additional cost since they build these shocks to order anyway. I went with the 3240PT w/remote canister. I also had to specify a short rod end on the rear shocks and a 5/8"ID eye bearing on one end of the front shocks to fit my DSE LCA. Also, if you don't want the AFCO blue anodized shock body you can specify clear anodized, again, at no extra cost. Tip: Call AFCO and have them spec out your shocks then have them save the configuration in their computer under your name. Then call Matt at MCB and tell him who you spoke with at AFCO and that they have your configuration saved. Matt will give you a great price and they will be drop shipped to your door. As I recall, I placed my order with Matt on a Monday and my shocks were delivered by UPS Friday of that same week.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification Steve! Also, I wholeheartedly agree with you on MCB. Matt and Kim are outstanding!

s10pro
04-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Have you ever taken car down 1/4mile track , if so what where the results as far as the 60ft how do you feel it performed

TheJDMan
04-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Have you ever taken car down 1/4mile track , if so what where the results as far as the 60ft how do you feel it performed

Who are you asking?

Bowtie racing
05-29-2017, 11:48 AM
My friend is looking to use DSE speed kit at front with ride tech rear system. Any opinions about that?

Rod
05-29-2017, 03:07 PM
My friend is looking to use DSE speed kit at front with ride tech rear system. Any opinions about that?

why the mix and match? what is he trying to accomplish?

all4sho
05-29-2017, 05:13 PM
you can't go wrong with Ridetech!!

i love there stuff and i have installed tons of it thru out the years, everything fits perfect

Bowtie racing
05-29-2017, 07:15 PM
why the mix and match? what is he trying to accomplish?

He is looking longer shock travel with stock subframe.

Rod
05-29-2017, 07:24 PM
He is looking longer shock travel with stock subframe.

shock travel is approached by the two companies differently, DSE increases it buy having you cut the upper shock mounting area, and Ridetech increases it by moving the lower shock mount on the lower control arm downward, I have installed nearly every brand and tested many of them

SuspensionGeek.com (http://suspensiongeek.com/)

s10pro
11-28-2017, 04:36 PM
Ever one still suggest the ridetech figures I would bring post back up

MonzaRacer
12-19-2017, 01:34 AM
Ridetech FTW, 1,000,001 mile guarantee. Awesome tech service, USA parts. And Brets pretty cool cause he BEATS his stuff and stands behind it, on top of it and in front of it.

jasonsnova
12-20-2017, 05:34 PM

my nova has full ridetech suspension, coilovers, can has mini tubs and 6.0 s475 turbo and 6 speed. with 325 50 15 it hooks shocking well(700ish rwhp) . I'm pretty sure it will be wheels up on a well prepped track......hell it almost dead hooks on the street.
dis connect front sway bar helps ....play with shock valving

Rod
12-20-2017, 06:48 PM
Ever one still suggest the ridetech figures I would bring post back up

Its not about pushing one brand, to me its just trying to have people, make sure the front and rear suspension is looked at as a package, and the same for your shock decision

simon455
12-22-2017, 08:32 PM
I did the CA 4 link on my 68, nice parts but the coil over crossmember would almost hit/rest on the diff oil fill plug on the fab9 when lowered to my desired ride height, which would be desired ride height of almost every pro touring camaro guy, i also used ridetech shockwaves instead their coil overs, so that crossmember had to go! fabbed pockets in the trunk floor, fabricated new coil over upper mounts, front to back shock angle also now improved and desired ride height was achieved and it also looks really, really slammed when aired out. But things don't end there, tranny tunnel also needed major alternation to keep r6060 transmission tacked in and level to match the pinion. Cv joint propeller was also used although was not required, but in case i ever would have to limp home aired out or something...
Still gotta do exhaust (over the axle) as the splined sway bar won't allow for under the axle. That will be hard but doable.