PDA

View Full Version : a little reverse ackermann steer to straighten up the tire angle 1988 monte carlo

garvir
01-30-2017, 02:57 PM
when i first came up with this idea i thought i was the only person in the world to figure this out... no no no, the circle track guys have been doing this for years.
these are numbers for a stock 88 gbody
5 degree left turn = 1 degree tire angle differance
10 degree left turn = 2.6 degree tire angle differance
15 degree left turn = 5.5 degree tire angle differance inches are half of degrees, so a 5.5 degree differance = 2 3/4", that is a lot of scuff, like putting your brakes on a little. most turns are probably around 10 or 15 degrees, and more on a sharp turn.

my thought was to change the idler and pitman arm angles by changing the distance of the holes in the center link. doing the math i worked out the angles for the pitman arm and idler, started at 10 degree angle worked down to 3 degree. 6 degree looked the best, looking down from the front of the car the idler and pitman are angled out 6 degree each \_____/. i used a 90 camaro center link, had to shortened it up 1", with the center link it also brought the tie rods down to parallel to the ground, should help the bump steer. i have 700lb springs in the front so that helps cut bumpsteer, going to 625lb this year. those 700s are rough.
my car now 5 degree left turn= 1/2 degree tire angle differance
10 degree left turn= 1/2 degree tire angle differance
15 degree left turn= 0 degree differance
i now run 1/8" toe out, and 1.25 negitive camber. toe out incourages a turn, toe in discourages a turn. 136638136639136640