PDA

View Full Version : 1967 camaro ls3, front springs

timopajala
01-14-2017, 07:15 AM
I have eibach 3848.001 springs and the car sits about 2-3" too high. What would be good springs for that kind of drop that it wont get too stiff to ride? Is v6 springs good and possibly cut them to lenght or original springs and cut them etc?

timopajala
01-14-2017, 07:25 AM
I have these springs there currently 3848.001, i think they are eibach springs but not sure

Z06vet
01-14-2017, 07:36 AM
The hotchkis small block springs work well. I have run them on many LSx swaps in first gens, and they drive well and stance is good. Much better option than cut original springs.

timopajala
01-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Have you run them with ls swap cars also? How high was the stance?

99socalfrc
01-14-2017, 09:23 AM
I have an LS3 in a 68 and the same springs as you. Mine have a full coil cut, its low enough I had to put small spring spacers in. Now it's perfect.

I tried the Hotchkis 2" lowering springs, the car looked a tonka truck and drove like one too. So I went back to the eibach.

timopajala
01-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Thanks! Thats just the info i need. How rough is the ride after coil cut?

Z06vet
01-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Not sure why you had trouble with the hotchkis springs. Here are 3 of my past builds with hotchkis small block springs. The 68 firebird & 67 camaro have LSx motors. The 69 had sbc w aluminum heads. This should help you get an idea of what it would look like. No cut springs, no spacers. Be sure the spring is correctly seated in the upper spring pocket, or the car will definitely sit high. Your shock choice can have a huge effect on ride quality.

Bowtie racing
01-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Thanks! Thats just the info i need. How rough is the ride after coil cut?

Urban legend. Doesn't affect ride quality at any ways.

99socalfrc
01-14-2017, 01:45 PM
The cut eibach ride the same before and after they where cut. I have the hotchkis leafs and hotchkis/fox shocks so I really wanted to use the hotchkis coils but the eibach cut just worked better for me.

These cars are old and every one of them is different, mine just didn't like the spring rate of the hotchkis, it had noises squeaks and rattles that it never before, and hasn't had since going back to the eibach (which I think is a 500lb spring)

timopajala
01-14-2017, 09:48 PM
The cut eibach ride the same before and after they where cut. I have the hotchkis leafs and hotchkis/fox shocks so I really wanted to use the hotchkis coils but the eibach cut just worked better for me.

These cars are old and every one of them is different, mine just didn't like the spring rate of the hotchkis, it had noises squeaks and rattles that it never before, and hasn't had since going back to the eibach (which I think is a 500lb spring)

Thanks for the info! Ill do the same thing :) So one full coil was little too much? You said you had to put spring spacer?

99socalfrc
01-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Yeah the full rundown is once the LS swap was done the car was sitting high, springs where cut when the front shocks went on. I was told a full coil should be cut to keep the spring clocked correctly in the frame/ a arms. After this the car was great for about a week, it then started settling and the passenger side would rub the fenderlip over bumps especially at highway speed.

I swapped them for the hotchkis coils, the car was stiffer and rode to high again. Instead of cutting more springs and being unhappy with the ride quality, I just put the Eibachs back in with the 3/8" spring spacer that goes between the A-Arm and bottom of the coil.

If I had it to do over again I'd take 1/2 or 3/4 coil off and it would be about perfect. The car looked bitchin when it was all the way low without the spacer, and I might take the spacer back out if I can get the wheels pulled in a bit to keep them off the fenderlip.