PDA

View Full Version : Aldan American Coil Over rears vs RideTech alternatives in AME 4 link

TomsResto
01-12-2017, 06:00 AM
So I'm running a heavily modified '69 that had Heidts upper & Lower tubular arms up front on stock subframe and Art Morrison weld in 4 link kit on the rear GM 10 bolt.

This past summer swapped out the entire front end for DSE front subframe... awesome improvement.

The rear isn't a "bad" setup, and at this point I don't think I want to swing for an entire DSE rear swap as well but I'm thinking a lower cost alternative that might be worth trying would be to swap out the Aldan American coil overs that the builder/original owner installed in the rear with RideTech or other higher end shock. The current coil over shocks are the AS-658 Phantom Series Coil-Over Shock Single-adjustable (Extended Length 16.5" Collapsed Length 11.5"):
http://www.jegs.com/i/Aldan-American-Shocks/038/AS-658/10002/-1

Seeking any input on experience/opinion on the improvement I might achieve (ideally from someone who did the same type of change) and/or specific recommendations on what to consider for upgrade given the above information.

Thanks,
Tom

dontlifttoshift
01-12-2017, 06:09 AM
Even if you kept the same springs the car will ride better by changing the rear shocks. I have done a similar upgrade several times and the results have all been positive.

TomsResto
01-12-2017, 06:32 AM
Even if you kept the same springs the car will ride better by changing the rear shocks. I have done a similar upgrade several times and the results have all been positive.

Donny -> Are you saying if I replace with RideTech or are you saying "with anything" (i.e. saying Aldan's are not very good in your experience)

Thanks,
Tom

Josh@Ridetech
01-12-2017, 06:34 AM
From looking at your measurements, our 5.2" stroke HQ series shock would be a huge upgrade for you. It's a monotube construction (you currently have a twin tube), rebound adjustable shock, and it has a 1,000,001 mile warranty :twothumbs. We could also look into changing springs to make sure that your rate is dialed in even closer for what you do with the car.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/coilover-shock-5.2-stroke-single-adjustable.html

TomsResto
01-12-2017, 06:53 AM
From looking at your measurements, our 5.2" stroke HQ series shock would be a huge upgrade for you. It's a monotube construction (you currently have a twin tube), rebound adjustable shock, and it has a 1,000,001 mile warranty :twothumbs. We could also look into changing springs to make sure that your rate is dialed in even closer for what you do with the car.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/coilover-shock-5.2-stroke-single-adjustable.html

Thanks Josh... with regard to your question/comment on the springs, I'll be one of those guys that can't give you a straightforward easy answer. The car is mostly "pro-touring" (Vintage A/C, 390HP RamJet 350 no adders, etc.) but between tight or bouncy/sloppy I'll err on the side of tight to compliment the 4 link and the DSE full front. Occasionally I have the wife and couple teenagers in the back seat for dinner/cruise on a Saturday night, but I'm looking to be able to spin it through some cones for fun at autocross events (latest wheel upgrade included wrapping them in Michelin Pilot Super Sports).

Josh@Ridetech
01-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Thanks Josh... with regard to your question/comment on the springs, I'll be one of those guys that can't give you a straightforward easy answer. The car is mostly "pro-touring" (Vintage A/C, 390HP RamJet 350 no adders, etc.) but between tight or bouncy/sloppy I'll err on the side of tight to compliment the 4 link and the DSE full front. Occasionally I have the wife and couple teenagers in the back seat for dinner/cruise on a Saturday night, but I'm looking to be able to spin it through some cones for fun at autocross events (latest wheel upgrade included wrapping them in Michelin Pilot Super Sports).

Anytime! I've got a decent idea of what spring rate would typically go on a setup like yours. We've weight hundreds of 1st gen's over the years and we can use that data to help set yours up like you want it to be.

Our spring rate calculator will show you the dimensions that we would use to choose what is best for your car: http://www.ridetech.com/tech/spring-rate-calculator/

You're welcome to call or email me anytime and I'll be happy to help get your ride quality issues fixed. We can set it up so that it's a "middle of the road" kind of build for the street/autorcross.

dontlifttoshift
01-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Yep, I should have been clearer. RideTech shocks to replace whatever you have now.