PDA

View Full Version : Steering shaft u joints

another69
12-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Does anyone have opinions / good or bad experiences with steering shaft u joints? I am looking for simplicity, and it seems like the Borgeson style with the set screws may not be the best option. I'd like fewer fasteners and less chance of something coming loose.

rustomatic
12-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Just keep as narrow an angle as you can. With sharper angles, different sizes of u-joints start to get in their own way. I've used Unisteer, Speedway, and now Sweet Mfg. joints with no problem. The "set screws" you're looking at might just be a secondary precaution (not sure) . . .

ra11ysport
12-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Just keep as narrow an angle as you can. With sharper angles, different sizes of u-joints start to get in their own way. I've used Unisteer, Speedway, and now Sweet Mfg. joints with no problem. The "set screws" you're looking at might just be a secondary precaution (not sure) . . .

What did you think of the unisteer u joints?

rustomatic
12-09-2016, 02:31 PM
The Unisteer joints were nice, and they held up well under some very hard thrashing (autox/track/my road). They are thick, so the angle really becomes a thing. With the weird setup I used to have (steering quickener + electric power assist), I needed to grind some of the edges for clearance, but the joints still worked great. They're not cheap, but with some products (Unisteer racks), you have no choice . . .

another69
12-09-2016, 03:48 PM
I had the Unisteer u joints too, and one thing I liked about them is the retention. You groove the shaft and the pinch bolt goes through it. Seems like a good way to do it

ra11ysport
12-09-2016, 04:51 PM
I had the Unisteer u joints too, and one thing I liked about them is the retention. You groove the shaft and the pinch bolt goes through it. Seems like a good way to do it

I thought they also recommend you pin them also not sure if thats correct or not. I have mine mocked up at 45deg and still have a little bind i need to work out. I def agree that pinch bolt is a layer of safety to take into consideration.