PDA

View Full Version : G body Monte Front coil springs

epeterson
11-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, getting ready to put some 1" drop springs in front of my 1986 Monte Carlo SS after my recent drop spindles and c5 brake work. My question is quite simple but seems to be debated decently on the g body forum so I thought id ask you suspension guru's here. When taking the front coil springs out do you guys prefer to take them by taking the 2 lower control arms bolts at the frame and lowering the arm to drop the spring out of the car or disconnect the spindle from the control arms and remove the spring through the outside of the car. Looking forward to some responses! Thank you.
-Erik

a67
11-29-2016, 04:21 AM
I have found that it is much easier and safer to remove the two a-arm mounting bolts and dropping the arm. Same for installing the new springs.

The only catch would be if the mounting bolts are rusted to the a-arm bushings. Then it gets tough. But they would need to be broken loose anyway as time go on for upgrading various other parts of the front suspension.

Bob.

UMI Tech
11-29-2016, 06:01 AM
We've found the lowering spring (which generally is shorter and higher rate) to go in easily with ball joint separation and keeping the inner pivots attached.

ramey