PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering box A body swap

coachtek
10-11-2016, 03:31 PM
With Lee steering not in business, where else can i get all the correct Hose adapaters , rag joint and anything else needed to make this swap possible?

a guide with a list of parts needed would be amazing

Typhoon1015
10-11-2016, 06:22 PM
the jeep box uses metric fittings, a local auto parts shop can make hoses to adapt metric to standard steering box fittings if you need that. the rag joint if needed can be had from rock auto. dorman 31011 or lares #200.

raustinss
10-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Lee's is back under a different name ......do a search here .....there was a mention about it not all that long ago

Skip Fix
10-12-2016, 02:16 PM
I think I have seen the O ring adapters from others also maybe Borgeson? SAE threads are close enough to the metric just need the press in flare adapters Lee used to sell. I used them on the IROC box I put in my 79 Camaro when I autocrossed it.

raustinss
10-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Btw www.steertechgrp.com is the new company which has been formed / reserected from lees

the owl
10-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Also don't forget about the pitman arm. You may need a different one.

csouth
10-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Also don't forget about the pitman arm. You may need a different one.

He should use his original pitman arm

the owl
10-13-2016, 01:36 PM
He should use his original pitman arm

Gotchya, I know in the F and X body world you have to use a factory PS arm. The factory manual ones do not fit.

garvir
10-13-2016, 02:13 PM
if you use the jeep cherokee steering shaft between the steering wheel and the steering box is a nice way to eliminate the rag joint, they use u-joints, and they are around 50.00 on ebay.

the only problem i had was with my schoenfield headers were really close to the rubber joint near the steering column, and loosened it up, so i put a 1/4" bolt thru booth top shafts before the jeep went into the steering column.133055

it was ok when motor was working the power steering but with motor off the steering wheel would move, it is a strange feeling to have the steering wheel off 90 degrees/

Bigwex
10-21-2016, 05:05 PM
if you use the jeep cherokee steering shaft between the steering wheel and the steering box is a nice way to eliminate the rag joint, they use u-joints, and they are around 50.00 on ebay.

the only problem i had was with my schoenfield headers were really close to the rubber joint near the steering column, and loosened it up, so i put a 1/4" bolt thru booth top shafts before the jeep went into the steering column.133055

it was ok when motor was working the power steering but with motor off the steering wheel would move, it is a strange feeling to have the steering wheel off 90 degrees/

I just picked up one of these steering shafts on eBay. I hope it works. I really like that idea.