PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro frame

gdwrnch33
09-21-2016, 07:15 AM
I'm fixen to buy a subframe for 69 camaro. I'm thinking about a art morrison because I have all the corvette parts to go on it. Where can I get the best deal on one. If some has a better idea on a subframe frame for the money I would love to hear about it. Thanks

TomsResto
09-21-2016, 01:22 PM
I recently (about year ago) was facing the decision on which subframe to go with, but I needed everything ... frame, arms, hubs, spindles, brakes, power steering assembly, etc.

I had an Art Morrison shop price out the full setup with Wilwoods and then I did the same thing via an authorized Detroit Speed supplier (per their website search on authorized dealers) and I found that the DSE setup came within spitting distance of the AME setup and the AME power steering is a DSE part number. So I went the Detroit Speed route and didn't look back. Only annoyance was that DSE only wants to source Baer brakes so I had to order Wilwood separately (didn't arrive mounted to the subframe like they would be if I bought the Baer from DSE). Then my separate Wilwood order got held up at Wilwood because it hit when they were moving manuf locations and their quality assurance department rejected a batch of rotors.

My situation may have been different though also b/c the total cost of Art Morrison included shipping to Iowa from California, whereas Detroit Speed was closer to the authorized dealer/reseller and then I went and picked it up from them directly as it was within an hour drive.

So my lesson learned is you may want to price check Art Morrison and Detroit Speed (they both use C5 hub/spindles) at the nearest suppliers to you and see where things land.

My two cents... will be curious to hear outcome of your experience.

ra11ysport
09-21-2016, 06:36 PM
The only thing oem on a AM subframe is the control arms. The oem spindles will work but need the steering arm machined off and then you need AM steering arms. So you basically would be better off buying the whole package.

gdwrnch33
09-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the replys

ra11ysport
09-21-2016, 06:45 PM
Im putting together a Speedtech 1st gen subframe its a damn nice package for the price.

killer69
09-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Im putting together a Speedtech 1st gen subframe its a damn nice package for the price.

Nice, let us know how your project goes.

gdwrnch33
09-23-2016, 02:25 PM

I like the speed tech but I done bought a oil pan and headers not sure if it will work with that rear mounted rack