PDA

View Full Version : Best power steering pump replacement?

scogin918
09-08-2016, 10:21 AM
I have a '69 Camaro with a LS1 and the power steering pump just dumped all of the fluid on the floor. It has the stock pump and reservoir. It also has a Hydroboost brake setup with the return line from the booster plumbed back into the reservoir. There is a cooler as well. There is a nipple that runs from the bottom of the reservoir to the cooler which then runs to the steering box. I've been looking at KRC, PSC and Turn-one. I really would like a pump-mounted reservoir that had the 6AN- along with the separate fitting to run to the cooler to avoid having to install a "T" in line to join the 2. KRC actually suggested getting rid of the cooler, but I'd rather not take something out I may need one day. The suggestion was based of the idea that power steering fluid is a constant need, more like pulses and surges when needed. I've heard good things about Turn-One and KRC but didn't know if anyone else had any experience with a similar setup.

F-Body International
09-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Word on the street says Turn One Steering

Decline
09-08-2016, 12:09 PM
In my reasearch it came down to Jones Turn 1 or Sweet Mfg.
I went with Jones because its an aluminum housing thats CNC'd inside to fit all there custom CNC bits. It seemed like the most technology for the buck and was on par price wise with the turn 1. Sweet was cheaper in price
KRC did not make the list because there top pump is $800 and the reasonable price pump is iron
With the jones racing unit, I needed a specific pressure and they "dyno" test there pumps and attach a little card with the specs so you know what your getting. Their products are super nicely manufactured and finished which is just icing
Driving impressions: Steering was smoother and slightly heavier and i swear i can feel the road better!
I posted a thread about it on here with pictures a few months ago

scogin918
09-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out. I did like the aluminum ones by KRC but it was almost $920 with everything, including the mounting bracket and pulley. Most of the configurations I have been looking at are between $420 and $480 so far. As far as driving feel goes, that is exactly what I'm looking for; it is way too light at speed now. I know it's a trade off between low speed turn ability but It's a small sacrifice I'm willing to make. I also like the ability to change the valve and adjust.

RadLS67
12-09-2016, 01:12 PM
I ran into this issue. I was running stock fbody pump, hydroboost and power rack. Pump would overpower rack and hydroboost pressure wise. Purchased KRC pump, plumbed new lines with a cooler added. KRC's flow valves helped me get the steering "feel" and effort i was looking for.

V8240Z
12-09-2016, 05:54 PM
I have a Turn One and it is fantastic!

UMI Tech
12-12-2016, 08:48 AM
We hung out with Junior at PRI and made plans for the steering on our LS powered '71 Camaro. He cared about flow rates, torsion bar size, steering wheel size, driver preference and even how much caster and front tire size.

We have their stuff on three of our other cars also.

Turn One all the way and then some.

ramey