PDA

View Full Version : 1988 monte carlo suspension upgrades front and rear

garvir
08-29-2016, 02:44 PM
my monte weighs in at 3050 lbs, zz430 (with a cam upgrade), 2004r trans with the 4th gear drum milled to accept and extra steel and fiber clutches, and no lockup converter. the reason i am at 3050 lbs is i added weight to the right side to compensate for me (165lbs) getting in the drivers seat was changing the instant center. i put the stock passenger seat back in (about 50lbs), spare tire on right side, and battery in the wheel well in the trunk. i did find the front right ride height was 1" below left side, and the left rear was 1" below the right rear, shimmed both low sides to make them the same as the other. used 2" dropped spindles in front, UMI 2" drop springs in rear, looks better. 1 1/4" UMI front sway bar, 1" UMI hollow sway bar in the rear. you do not want to big in the rear, might lift a tire in turns. used a 1990 camaro center link, shortened up 1", this gave idler and pitman arms 6 degree turn out, set my toe out at 1/8", in a 10 degree turn i had 1/8" toe out. basically zero, most montes a 2" or 3" toe out in a turn, a lot of scuff. 131196

garvir
08-30-2016, 01:17 PM
to lighten the monte to 3050 lbs, there is no back seat, all the ac and heater stuff has been pulled out of the dash and off the firewall. that was a tough job pulling that stuff out of dash, got rid of a lot of weight though. what looks like a heater module is just an old non ac plastic cover, gave me a lot of room, in fact you can bolt a big block in engine compartment with that cover. cleaned up the engine compartment, got rid of a lot of crap, there is not much left under hood. battery in trunk, fit real nice into the spare tire hole.131224

UMI Performance
09-02-2016, 05:18 AM
Thanks for including UMI! cool project.